camden clark hospital - Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair

Camden Clark Hospital

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 900 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

 

On July 14, 1897, the Parkersburg City Council authorized the issuance of bonds to purchase a site for a city hospital. The city bought a home at 514-516 Wells Street (now Thirteenth Street) for $6,500 to use as a hospital later that year. Dr. William Johnson Davidson, superintendent of the new hospital, reported to the city council that from February 1 to September 1, 1898, 70 patients received care. Of that 70, three died-one from a stab wound, another from typhoid, and the last from an unspecified disease

 

Senator J. N. Camden House 1920

Early view of Camden House after it was Camden Clark Hospital

 

Camden Clark Hospital 1920

 

Camden Clark Hospital 1918

 

Camden Clark Hospital 1952

 

Camden Clark Hospital 1963

 

Camden Clark Hospital new construction 1963

 

In 1831, 22-year-old Andrew Gibson Clark rode horseback from Winchester, Virginia, to Parkersburg. He studied medicine under

Parkersburg doctors McGuire and Stafford before going to Lexington, Kentucky, to further his studies at Transylvania University. In 1843 the now Dr. Clark returned to Parkersburg to establish his practice. After a long and distinguished career, Dr. Clark died in 1902 at the age of 93. He bequeathed $10,000 to the City of Parkersburg to be used in founding a hospital for the poor.

 

The first hospital nursing school program in West Virginia began at City Hospital on March 15, 1898. Fifteen young women enrolled in the program, which included classes in obstetrics, anatomy, and general nursing. Pictured above are five members of the first class. Nine of the original 15 enrollees graduated in 1903.

 

 

COPYRIGHT 1997-2014 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR