HISTORY OF CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 900 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

 

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

 

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

CORNING GLASS PARKERSBURG WV 1943

Corning Glass Works has invested in capital improvements at its Parkersburg plant since taking over the facility yielding continued growth of its product line. The Parkersburg plant of Corning Glass Works was originally built by the Defense Plant Corp. in 1942. It was operated by Corning for the manufacturing of precision optical glass products required for military operations.

After World War II Corning Glass Works purchased the Staunton Avenue facility and converted it for the production of laboratory glassware. Physical expansion of the plant and the addition of a second glass tank in 1951 permitted introduction of glass industrial pipeline. That resulted in the Parkersburg plant becoming the world's largest producer of glass drain pipe for use in dairy chemical and other industries where durable, non-contaminating and rust free lines are needed In 1965 that growing  product line was moved to Corning's new plant in Blacksburg, Va. The move allowed extensive development of new processes and products at the Parkersburg plant, including disposable laboratory apparatus and water distillation units.

 During the ensuing years plant lay out was altered capacity expanded, and improved melting units added which meet air quality standards and conserve energy. In addition to the production of chemically durable 7740 Pyrex brand glass. the plant began producing a neutral bora -silicate glass in 1977. The new product is used in pharma-ceutical applications where Glass containers .with a long and stable shelf life are required. Reinvestment in the plant and equipment accelerated in 1982. Corning modernized the disposable glass process, added a new raw material mixing facility, rebuilt the melting tanks and provided quality products competitively priced to meet domestic and international markets.

 In addition to considerable process restructuring and significant plant layout changes, administrative and office area shave been renovated, parking facilities enlarged and improved with substantial upgrading of the plant exterior. Also this summer a new 30,000 square foot warehouse was constructed on the east side of the plant to better service the manufacturing operations. The Parkersburg plant, employing about 500 workers, is part of Corning's Science and Health Group supplying products related to the health and laboratory field.

Those products include culture tubes, pipets and beakers for laboratory use, tubing for manufacturers of medical devices and containers, water distillation units, water purification systems and other laboratory equipment used for the semiconductor market, cancer research and many analytical and testing applications. Corning Glass Works has continued to reinvest significant capital resources for the future of the Parkersburg plant and has a commitment of total quality to its customers employees and community.

March 02, 1994 Corning Inc. said that it had agreed to sell its glass tubing plant in Parkersburg, W. Va., to the Schott Corporation, a unit of the Schott Group, a German glass manufacturer. Terms were not disclosed. Under the agreement, Schott will continue to supply scientific glassware, tubing and equipment from the plant to other Corning businesses. The Schott Corporation, based in Yonkers, will honor existing labor contracts covering the plant's 400 members of the American Flint Glass Workers Union. Corning, based in the New York town of the same name, said it would continue to operate its laboratory glass products and equipment business in Big Flats, N.Y.

Schott Corp.announced the schedule for the closing of operations at Schott Scientific Glass Inc., in Parkersburg, W.V. The first melting tank was shut down on July 22, and the second tank will be shut down on August 12. The facility will end operations by August 31 2004 and will remain open only for cleaning.

 

  COPYRIGHT 1997-2013 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR

 history corning glass parkersburg wv - mackey's antiques & clock repair