DID YOU KNOW THIS ABOUT PARKERSBURG WV
Mackey's Antiques & Clock
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
e mail email@example.com
Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.net
Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.org
Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com
Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/
Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/
Wood County History Photography & Scenery http://www.wchps.net
For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures
46 Years of Clock Repair CLICK HERE FOR ANTIQUE CLOCK REPAIR
we have a Large amount of Clock Parts CLICK HERE FOR CLOCK PARTS
the site of what today is proud Parkersburg sold for a horse and a gallon of whiskey. the purchaser was Alexander Parker, and the man who made the deal was Robert Thornton. and the history of the deal is recounted in an old volume titled The History of Harrison County "from the pen of Henry Haymond. it was in History of Harrison County because at one time what is now wood county was part of of Harrison County Following is Haymond's brief account of the beginning of Parkersburg: I The commissioners for adjusting the claims to unpatented lands on the western waters for the county of Monongalia in the year 1781 issued a certificate to Robert Thornton for 400 acres of land on the north side of the LittIe "Kanaway" river to include his settlement made in 1773 with preemption of 1000 acres adjoining. This entry included the land on which Parkersburg now stands. Thornton sold his land to Alexander Parker for whom the city of Parkersburg was named.
Parkersburg National Bank 1939 Parkersburg's oldest and largest bank actually opened its doors on March 17,1839, as the Northwestern Bank of Virginia. However, beginning in 1861, the Civil War caused a great upheaval throughout the western part of Virginia and, in 1863, its people chose to secede from the state and were accepted into the Union as the new state of West Virginia. As a result of this dramatic change, the bank was filled with worthless confederate currency. It would have failed at that time except for President Abraham Lincoln's Bank Act which revitalized the bank and, in June 1865, established it under the new name of The Parkersburg National Bank. It would remain "The Parkersburg National Bank" until November of 1985 when, after many mergers and acquisitions, it became the "United National Bank."
One of the first accounts of auto racing in West Virginia is from the July 4, holiday 1923,. The race took place at Shattuck Park, on a half-mile horse track at the old West Virginia Fairgrounds in South Parkersburg.
Parkersburg's First banker
The first banker in the history of Parkersburg was " Beverly Smith ", Beverly was a Man who in 1839 at the age of 30 came to Parkersburg from Wheeling to open a branch bank of the North western Bank of Virginia, later chartered the Parkersburg National Bank by a group of local men, Upon moving to Parkersburg, the Smith family established their home in a large brick building on Court Street, now known as Third Street. Part of the large structure was used for the bank quarters while the family lived in the rest of the house, The same building was used for several decades and the headquarters for the Salvation Army until it was demolished in 1965. While the bank was later moved to Market Street where Smith owned a tract of land, part of which was sold for $80.00 to the Catholic Parrish in order to build st. Xavier Church.
The first Hospital Nursing School program in West Virginia began ion Parkersburg at City Hospital on March 15, 1898. Fifteen young women enrolled in the program, which included classes in obstetrics, anatomy, and general nursing. Nine of the original 15 enrollees graduated in 1903
The Wonderland was Parkersburg's First Theater in late 1880s in the 400 block of Market Street. closed down in the early 1900s and two theaters constructed at 424-426 Market street on the East Corner of Fifth and Market, was the star and Bijou, two relatively unsuccessful theaters were located side-by-side. in 1917 the Bijou with new owners was re-named the Strand in the 1920s,the two theaters the Star & the Strand were merged and the strand Theater was constructed. in the 1960s this location was the Burger Chef History of
THE HISTORY OF WONDERLAND PARKERSBURG'S FIRST THEATER
First Parkersburg School Founded At Neal's Station Miss Kate Harris, a teacher in Parkersburg schools for many years, and who before the turn of the century wrote a history of Parkersburg, states that the early settlers at that time thought the first school here was established on the south side of Neal's Station. According to Miss Harris, a little later one was established in Parkersburg or Newport, as the town was then called. The first teacher was the Rev. James McAboy, a Baptist minister who lived here between 1817 and 1825. He conducted his classes in a Methodist Church on Avery St.A little later another minister-teacher, the Rev. Festus Hanks, Presbyterian minister, taught here. Miss Harris history, which was published in the Parkersburg Dispatch News in 1913 stated that after the Baptist built a frame church at 6th and Ann Streets. the school was then moved there. The first church of the Presbyterians was a brick structure on Juliana St. near 6th
WOOD COUNTY HAD SLAVES
61 slaves lived in wood county slaves lived and worked in Wood County until the Civil War, according to the historical Atlas. Sometime between 1860 and 1870, all were freed. The records started with 1800 when there were 1,217 white people in the county 61 slaves and one free negro. The census, taken at ten year intervals, shows a population increase of white people by 1810 to 3,036. There were then 450 slaves, and one free negro.
By 1820 the population was 5,860 whites and 852 slaves and ten free negroes. In 1830 the white population was 6,429 and the slave population reached its highest point 877. There were 51 free negroes then. By 1840 there were 7,923 white people but the number of slaves had fallen to 624, with 56 free negroes; 1850, 9,450 whites, 373 slaves and 69 free; 1860, 11,046 whites, 176 slaves and 79 free. In 1870 following the Civil War the population was recorded at 19,000 white people and 713 free negroes.
Early Parkersburg Had Political Giant In Van Winkle
Peter G. Van Winkle, the man who cast the decisive vote against impeaching Andrew Johnson as president was a favorite son of Parkersburg. A New York born lawyer, Van Winkle was one of the political giants in early Parkersburg history who played a prominent role in the statehood movement.
Covering an area of 33 Acres under roof is the largest Rayon factory in the world the Parkersburg Plant of the American Viscose Co. they make " Crown " brand Rayon the Viscose co was purchased in 1963 by FMC Corp they closed there doors in 1974
That Parkersburg's the largest shovel plant in the world was the Ames Baldwin Wyoming Co.
The largest plant in the world Manufacturing Derricks and other Oil Field Equipment. the Parkersburg Rig & Reel Co.
When the B & O Railroad bridge was built across the Ohio River in 1871 it was 4397 ft long it was 7140 ft long across parts of Parkersburg & Belpre OH. at that time it was the longest bridge of that type in the world.
That in Parkersburg WV there Post Office was one of the first in the country to offer free City Mail delivery in 1887
That Floating soap later sold to Proctor & Gamble as " Ivory " was developed in Parkersburg by Upson Oil & Soap Works.
That Victor Bloede the Baltimore Chemist that developed the Adhesive on Postage Stamps began his career in Parkersburg.
That in Parkersburg in 1862 was the first free School South of the Mason Dixon line for African American Children. was founded by Seven African American men to provide an Education for their children.
That since 1957 Parkersburg is called the Savings Bond Capital of America. when the U. S. Treasury department's Bureau of the Public was moved here. in 1957 all U. S. Savings bond's bought goes through Parkersburg.
That the Coliseum was the Largest Ball Room in the State with 18;000 sq. feet of floor space. for conventions and dances. many of the finest Orchestras in the United States have played here.
That in 1899 about the 2500 block of
Dudley Ave. the Terrapin Park & Casino. was built the $15,000 Casino had a 2000
seat Auditorium, Dance Hall & Bowling Alleys. in September 1917 it was destroyed
has the Largest Barrel Factory In the West
collection of all content on this website is the property of Mackey's Antiques &
and is protected by U.S. and International copyright
laws © copyright 1997-2015 All Rights Reserved
Parkersburg has the Largest Barrel Factory In the West
The collection of all content on this website is the property of Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair and is protected by U.S. and International copyright laws © copyright 1997-2015 All Rights Reserved