Early walk in historic down town Parkersburg wv - mackey's antique clock repair parkersburg wv

HISTORIC WALK IN DOWN TOWN PARKERSBURG WV

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 900 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

 

1. Gould Gerwig House 720 Juliana Street Built in 1888 by Stephen Gould, owner of the Parkersburg Mill Company. The house has beautiful interiors with each room trimmed in a different wood. All doors are made of butternut. On the stairway is a leaded glass window. The house is the headquarters of the Greater Parkersburg Area Chamber of Commerce.

 

2. Chancellor-Lowe house 904  Juliana Street Built in the early 1870's by Col. William Chancellor, prominent oil man and railroad builder. He was Mayor of Parkersburg and served in the state legislature. This house is a fine example of French Second Empire architecture. To the rear stands an unusual carriage house.

 

3. Shattuck-Vancamp House 910 Juliana Street The house was built in 1863 by Charles Horace Shattuck, Sheriff of Wood County in 1872. He organized the Citizens National Bank and was Mayor of Parkersburg in the 1870's. Shattick Park (South Parkersburg 1906-1926) was named after him. In 1890, he and James Monroe Jackson, Jr. organized the Parkersburg Electric Light Company.

 

4. Jackson-Wright House 919 Juliana Street This New England Coast style house was built in 1920 by Mr. and Mrs. James Madison Jackson. The exterior is Cypress Shingles highlighted by trim that includes a handsome balustrade on the porch. The architect was William Pleasants Pennington.

 

 

5. Deming-Markey House 1102-1104 Juliana Street Built by Charles T. Deming about 1860. An extension of the parlor over the sidewalk is reminiscent of New England street houses. Fan tracery over one of the windows and unusual shutters are the other interesting features.

 

6. Dils-Lehich house 1103 Juliana Street The home was built in 1900 and owned by the Dils family. It is Neoclassical in style with some residual "Queen Ann" Victorian elements such as a symmetrical placement of front door and windows. The house contains three stories with an area of 5000 square feet. The rear 18 rooms including a third floor ballroom.

 

7. Scott-Smith House 1111 Juliana Street This house, built in 1908, is constructed of Indiana Limestone with a cedar shingled upper story. The formal library has a walnut beamed ceiling, built in leaded book cases and beautiful stained glass windows depicting musical instruments. Another classic stained glass window is visible from the wide stair landing. In the rear is an old fashioned flower garden lined with antique stone paths

 

8. Deming-Hayhurst house 1117 Juliana Street Built by Charles T. Deming Circa 1853. It is one of the oldest houses in the Julia-Ann District. The architecture combines New England, Williamsburg and Colonial Styles. To the left rear is the carriage house, and the servants quarters were in the building on the right.

 

9. W.  H. Smith House 1125 Juliana Street Primarily Queen Ann in style this brick house was built in 1888 by William Haimes Smith. An original glass treet light is located near the fence. Also of interest are the columns forming a patio which were originally from the Bank of Virginia (now United National Bank) building which once stood on 3rd Street.

 

10. Jackson -ball house 1204 Juliana Street Built between June, 1866 and February, 1867 by Elijah Truman for Samuel and Letitia Stewart. It was built even with the end of the front yard, but between 1898 and 1901, the house was moved back from the street by four teams of mules onto its new foundation so the right wing and back addition could be added. The home was built in the style of carpenter gothic and originally sold for $4,000.

 

11. Wiant -Badger House 1225 Juliana Street The property was purchased in 1889 by Cap. William T. Wiant, founder of Wiant and Barr Hardware. Originally Victorian style built circa 1880 with a large turret. Major remodeling was undertaken and the turret removed in 1920 when a daughter, Ethel Wiant, married Isaac Davis. In 1974 the house was sold to John and Thelma Badger who completed the latest renovation.

 

12. Tillinghast Cook House 1301 Murdoch Avenue Tour passes the Riverview Cemetery, situated on land once owned by Joseph Cook, who is buried here. Also buried here are some of early Parkersburg's most prominent citizens including Jacob B. Jackson and William E. Stevenson, Governors of West Virginia and United  States Senator Peter G. VanWinkle. Built in 1825 by Tillinghast A. Cook, the son of Joseph Cook, one of the area's  first settlers. The bricks were fired on the premises and the wood used was cut near by. Restored by Elizabeth Wolfe Eddy and now the headquarters of the Junior League of Parkersburg, this is the second oldest house in Wood County.

 

13. Leach-Mallory House 104 13th street Look north to the former DeSales Heights Convent and Academy on the east side of Murdoch Avenue. This imposing Romanesque structure was built in the late 1890's. Visitors may approach this monastic appearing building from 13th Street by using the road across from Nash Elementary School. Property was owned by the Leach family from circa 1800 to 1954. Original log structure built approximately 1840, and in 1867 a new wing added. Restoration carried out in very early Victorian or Late Federal similar to Winchester, Virginia area by present residents.

 

14. Wix House 1209 Ann Street Built circa 1900 as the home of H. S. Wilson, Sr. a prominent lumber man. The home's original front faced Murdoch Avenue which was the fashionable street at the time. Wilson later reversed the stairwell ,added wings and enlarged the structure. U. S. Senator Peter G. VanWinkle died here when the house was the home of his daughter, Mary VanWinkle Blackford. A private school once occupied the house

 

15. Church- Currey House 1208 Ann Street Built in 1880 by M. C. C. Church, Civil War correspondent for the New York Tribune, and later prominent oil man who built the first oil pipeline from the Volcano fields to Parkersburg. The house shows German and English influences. Artisans were brought from Europe to do stonework ,lead glass windows and wood carving.

 

16. Ambler - Hanlon House 109 West 12th Street Built circa 1885 by Benjamin Mason Ambler one of the organizers of the West Virginia Bar Association. The home has lovely 1809 degree spiral staircase built by the late Thomas Burke. Circuit Court Judge Joseph M. Handlan was born in this house.

 

17.  Smith- Dodrill House 114 West 12th Street Built in 1886 by Gustavas Schmidt as a wedding present for his son Frank Smith and his bride Marcelena Clark Smith. The Queen Anne cottage features plaster work of bows and cupids on the ceilings of the first floor. The exterior of the house has recently been restored using a Victorian color scheme. The Dutch door and stained glass in the foyer are original to the house.

 

18. Neale - Astorg House 1110 Ann Street Built about 1875 by Joseph B. Neale.This is a fine example of French Second Empire architecture with a Georgian interior. The ceilings are twelve feet high, and there is a large ballroom on the third floor. The double front doors are solid walnut.

 

19. Mccandllsh -Mccarter House 1045 Ann Street Built in 1884 by Douglas Putnam as a wedding present for his daughter, Elizabeth McCandlish. It is Queen Anne in  style and the interior is notable for its paneled woodwork, English winding stairways, fingered hardwood door frames and hand carved mantles. Governor Albert B. White lived here

 

20. Gerwig -Jones House 1008 Ann Street Built in 1891 by Edward Gerwig, a prominent businessman and civic leader, president of the Wood County Bank and partner in the firm of Bentley & Gerwig whose furniture factory was located at 6th and Ann Streets. Exterior features are predominately Queen Anne and include ornamental brick work and a 3 1/2 story tower with heavy wooden cornices and belts of decoration. Elaborately carved mantles and wood work complete the late Victorian interior.

 

21. Kahn - Vaughan house 1000 Ann Street This Medieval Romantic style house was built by S. Kahn circa 1890. It features a multi windowed round turret on the third floor. It was restored by Stanley Vaughan, Sr. To the rear of the structure on West 10th Street is the stately Vaughan Funeral Home originally the residence of Philip Neal.

 

22. Wild - Case-Shaffer House 710 Ann Street  Rudolph Wild, a German immigrant baker, built this Queen Anne style home for his family in 1901. The home still maintains original features such as the European plan bathroom, courting Nook, and light fixtures. It is currently used for the Harmony House Bed and Breakfast

 

23. Albright - Bradley Building 101Third Street Built before 1899. Site of first Maxwell car agency, first Chrysler car agency and first Kaiser - Fraizer car agency. Former site of Schilling Lumber Bones Tire Service and Wallbrown Tire. After standing vacant for 20 years it was restored and occupied June 28, 1990 by the law offices of Albright, Bradley & Ellison.

 

24. Oil and Gas Museum 108 Third Street The building was built in 1874 and occupied by the W. H. Smith Hardware Company. In 1899 the building partially burned down by a dramatic fire, and it was rebuilt in the same year. The third bay to the east was added in 1915. The hardware store closed in the mid 1980's and the Oil and Gas Museum opened in June 1990

 

25. Blennerhassett Museum 2nd & Juliana Streets The Blennerhassett Museum building was constructed 1901-02  by the McConaughey family as the home of the Star Grocery Company. The firm had its own railroad spur along the north face. The structure was purchased by the State of West Virginia in 1982 to house the office and collections of the Blennerhassett Historical State Park

 

26. Old Parkersburg Mill Company Formerly the Parkersburg Mill Company, the first structure was built in 1858 making it one of the earliest institutions in the area. Fine oak and poplar lumber was manufactured here until the early 1900's. The complex was restored in 1981 by Warren Roberts.

 

27. Wood County Courthouse Court Square Begun in 1899 it is Wood County's fifth Court House erected on land donated by the heirs of Alexander Parker .The building is of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture featuring stilted arches and stone carvings. It was built by Caldwell & Drade of Columbus, Indiana from plans by L. W. Thomas of Canton, Ohio

 

28. blennerhassett hotel 322 Market Street This chateau like structure was built by W. N. Chancellor in 1889. Mr. Chancellor, a Mayor of Parkersburg, also built the Chancellor Hotel which was Parkersburg's largest hotel which once stood at 7th and Market Streets. The Blennerhassett Hotel originally housed several banking institutions. The architecture is 19th Century eclecticism. It has been refurbished and an addition added to the rear. It re-opened in 1986.

 

29.  Neale - Matheney House 331 Juliana Street Built in 1840 by George Neale, this fine brick structure is a Greek Revival architecture. The exterior was restored in 1974. The building is now owned by Lloyd Matheny and houses law offices.

 

30.  Trinity Episcopal Church Complex 430 Juliana Street Built in 1878, the church's design is rich in architectural symbolism found in all true Gothic structures even to a single flying buttress and stained glass windows, The first permanent Vicar, Rev, Thomas Smith, who died in 1847, is buried beneath the front door, The Rectory, built in 1863 stands on the corner and is an excellent example of Victorian architecture, In the rear of the property is Trinity Hall, Built in 1881, this was originally a Sunday School and was financed by children's events.

 

31. Smoot Theatre 213 Fifth Street The theatre was built in 1926 for vaudeville acts. It was purchased in 1930 by Warner Brothers and was late converted to a movie theatre. The dressing rooms are located beneath the stage and still have the original gas burners used by the actresses to heat their curling irons. The theater was closed for several years before being restored and re-opened in 1990.

 

32. St Francis Xavier church 532 Market Street Built in 1869 and dedicated in 1870. Church is an adaptive Romanesque design with French Gothic influences. Designed by P. C. Keeley, the contractor was Lysander Dudley. The church is distinguished by its magnificent mural paintings. The imposing wooden altar was hand carved. The building's exterior has changed very little over the years preserving the original architecture.

 

33. Chancellor Insurance Building 613 Market Street This Federal style building was renovated in 1979 by Mike Heitz for the Chancellor Insurance Agency, the oldest continuous insurance agency registered in West Virginia, established in 1862. Of particular interest is the building's keystone and lintel treatment on the front facade.

 

34. Oeldorf - Smith Building 809 Market Street Now the home of J. Wetherell Jewelers, the building was constructed in 1906. It includes a variety of classical motifs with cartouches and swags above the third story. The beautiful storefront and sidewalk clock are outstanding first story features.

 

COPYRIGHT 1997-2014 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR