early houses in wood county west virginia - Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair

EARLY HOUSES IN COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 900 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkersburg-WV/MACKEYS-ANTIQUES-CLOCK-REPAIR/141916939168718

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

http://twitter.com/#!/mackeysclocks

 

  DR. JOSEPH SPENCER, HIS WIFE DEBORAH, AND THEIR NINE CHILDREN EMIGRATED TO WOOD COUNTY FROM CONNECTICUT IN 1794. HE SETTLED ONA 5,000-ACRE LAND GRANT THAT HE RECEIVED FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOR HIS SERVICES IN THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR. HE AND A PARTNER, AUSTIN NICHOLS, MARKED OFF HALF-ACRE LOTS ON 100 ACRES AND PETITIONED THE VIRGINIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY TO ESTABLISH THE TOWN OF VIENNA, WHICH IT DID ON JANUARY 21, 1799. THEIR ATTEMPTS TO SELL THE LOTS WERE NOT SUCCESSFUL AND VIENNA REMAINED ESSENTIALLY THE PLANTATION OF DR. SPENCER. IT WAS NOT UNTIL 1935 THAT VIENNA WAS INCORPORATED. THE HOUSE PICTURED ABOVE WAS BUILT BY DR. SPENCER'S SON, DAVID , IN 1839. 

WILLIAM H. BICKEL MADE A FORTUNE IN THE OIL FIELDS AND HE SHARED THAT FORTUNE WITH THE PEOPLE OF WOOD COUNTY . HIS 368-ACRE ESTATE IN WHAT IS NOW THE LARKMEAD SECTION IN SOUTHERN WOOD COUNTY HOSTED THOUSANDS OF FAMILIES. "UNCLE WIG," AS HIS FRIENDS CALLED HIM, PROVIDED PONIES FOR CHILDREN TO RIDE AND A PRIVATE ZOO, WHICH INCLUDED GROUNDHOGS, DEER, PEACOCKS, AND BUFFALO . HE SPONSORED A HORSE SHOW' EVERY YEAR AND REVIVED THE SPORT OF SULKY RACING. "UNCLE WIG" DIED AT A SQUARE DANCE ON NOVEMBER 28, 1946.  

1102 Juliana st Built around 1860 by Captain George Deming a Master Mariner, he died 1861. i was told this house is the 3rd or 4th oldest house in Parkersburg.  

 

THE PHELPS-TAVENNER HOUSE 2502 CAMDEN AVE. NEAR NEAL'S STATION WAS BUILT BY COLONEL PHELPS IN 1808. THIS IS THE OLDEST HOUSE IN PARKERSBURG . HUGH PHELPS WAS A SHAKER AND HELPED IN THE FORMATION OF WOOD COUNTY .

 THE COOK HOUSE CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR THE HISTORY OF THE COOK HOUSE

                    HISTORY OF COOK HOUSE 

 

HENDERSON HALL NEAR WILLIAMSTOWN HAS BEEN PRESERVED AS A LIVING LEGACY TO GEORGE WASHINGTON HENDERSON AND HIS WIFE, ELIZABETH ANN TOMLINSON. THE HENDERSON HOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1836 AND ENLARGED IN 1859. THE 29 ROOM MANSION CONTAINS ITS ORIGINAL FURNISHINGS AND MEMORABILIA FROM THE HENDERSON FAMILY, CIRCA 1891

 

THE NEALE HOUSE ON BLENNERHASSETT ISLAND WAS CONSTRUCTED IN 1832 BY MERCHANTL BANKER GEORGE NEALE JR. COLONEL JOHN JOHNSON, SEATED IN THE DOORWAY, AND HIS FAMILY LIVED ON THE PROPERTY IN THE 1890s.THE HOUSE IS IN RUINS TODAY.  

 

BUILT BY JAMES MCNEIL STEPHENSON AROUND 1834, " OAKLAND ," AS HE CALLED THE HOUSE, STILL STANDS TODAY. OAKLAND WAS THE CENTER OF A 1,OOO-ACREPLANTATION. THE UNION ARMY CAMPED ON THE GROUNDS DURING THE CIVIL WAR. ONE OF PARKERSBURG 'S LEADING CITIZENS, STEPHENSON OWNED A TANNING YARD AT THE CORNER OF MARKET AND HARRIET (LATER FOURTH) STREETS IN PARKERSBURG . HE SERVED AS PRESIDENT OF THE NORTHWESTERN BANK AND AS A DELEGATE TO THE VIRGINIA ASSEMBLY FROM WOOD COUNTY IN 1847

 

SHORTLY AFTER THE CIVIL WAR, OIL PRODUCER WILLIAM C. STILES JR. BUILT THIS THREE-STORY MANSION ON A HILL OVERLOOKING THE BOOM TOWN OF VOLCANO. THE MANSION'S FOUNDATION CAN BE VIEWED NEAR. MOUNTWOOD PARK .  

IN 1921, GILBERT L. WATSON PURCHASED THE FORMER HENRY LOGAN HOUSE AT 402  AVERY ST. FOR HIS OIL AND GAS BUSINESS OFFICES. PURE OIL CO. WATSON OIL CO. PROGRESS OIL CO. NEW YORK PETROLEUM, NATIONAL COMPRESSING CO. , TRENTON ROCK GASOLINE CO., HUDSON OIL CO. AND POWER OIL CO. HAD OFFICES THERE.

 

WEST VIRGINIA MASONIC HOME, 3826 MURDOCH AVE. , OVERLOOKS VIENNA . THE MASONIC HOME WAS OPENED TO ORPHANS AND ELDERLY MASONS IN THE EARLY 1920S. THE PROPERTY USED TO BE PART OF C.D. MERRICK 'S SEVEN SPRINGS FARM.

 

HENRY COOPER BUILT THIS CABIN OVER 200 YEARS AGO IN 1805 IN THE MINERAL WELLS AREA. THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG PURCHASED THE CABIN FOR $400 FROM COOPER DESCENDANTS, EL. BARNETT AND M.L. LEMASTER, TO PRESERVE THE CABIN AS AN EXAMPLE OF EARLY PIONEER ARCHITECTURE. THE CITY MOVED THE CABIN IN 1910, LOG BY LOG, TO THE CITY PARK WHERE IT STANDS TODAY. THE DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN PIONEERS OWN AND MAINTAIN THE CABIN. IT IS OPEN ON SUNDAYS FROM 1:30 TO 4:30P.M., FROM MEMORIAL DAY THROUGH LABOR DAY.  

HARMAN BLENNERHASSETT AND HIS WIFE, MARGARET, LEFT IRELAND IN 1796 TO SETTLE IN AMERICA . THEY BUILT A MANSION ON BACKUS ISLAND IN THE OHIO RIVER NEAR PARKERSBURG FROM 1798 TO 1800. BUILT IN THE PALLADIAN STYLE OF ARCHITECTURE WITH A CENTRAL HOUSE AND TWO DEPENDENCIES CONNECTED BY CURVED PORTICOS, THE BLENNERHASSETT MANSION WAS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PRIVATE HOMES IN AMERICA

 

THIS 200-YEAR-OLD CABIN STILL STANDS TODAY ALONG GOOSE CREEK IN WOOD COUNTY . IT IS TYPICAL OF EARLY PIONEER CABINS. SMALL TREES WERE FELLED AND THE LOGS CUT TO THE NEEDED LENGTHS. CRACKS WERE CHINKED (FILLED) WITH MUD AND CLAY. HEAT CAME FROM THE FIREPLACE AND COOK STOVE. THE CURRENT OWNERS FOUND A DIARY IN THE HOUSE KEPT BY SILOUEE DILWORTH FROM 1872 TO 1918. HE WROTE ABOUT SMALLPOX, TRAIN WRECKS, SERVING ON THE JURY, ILLNESS, DEATH, AND ALWAYS-THE WEATHER

 

WILLIAM COOPER STILES JR. BUILT HIS MANSION, THORNHILL FARM, ON A HILL ABOVE VOLCANO. SHAPED IN THE FORM OF A MALTESE CROSS, THE 2S-ROOM MANSION HAD EXTENSIVE FLOWER AND VEGETABLE GARDENS , STABLES, AND A WINE CELLAR. AFTER HIS DEATH IN 1896, THE MANSION SLOWLY DETERIORATED UNTIL TODAY ONLY THE FOUNDATION REMAINS. 

 

THIS MAGNIFICENT HOME AT THE CORNER OF EIGHTH AND JULIANA STREETS WAS BUILT IN 1888 BY S.L. GOULD, OWNER OF THE PARKERSBURG MILL. TODAY THE HOME SERVES AS THE OFFICE OF RUSEN AND WHITE, ATTORNEYS AT LAW.  

GEN. JOHN JAY JACKSON BUILT THIS THREE-STORY, TWELVE-ROOM MANSION AT THIRD AND MARKET BETWEEN 1838 AND 1840. HE CALLED THE HOME "CORRINDA. "JACKSON HELD MANY IMPORTANT POLITICAL POSITIONS BETWEEN 1856 AND 1901, INCLUDING PROSECUTING ATTORNEY OF WOOD COUNTY, JUDGE OF THE WEST VIRGINIA FIFTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT, MEMBER OF THE UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, AND JUDGE OF WOOD COUNTY'S CRIMINAL COURT. THE HOUSE LATER BECAME A NIGHTCLUB AND WAS DESTROYED BY FIRE.  

TILLINGHAST A. COOK BUILT THIS BRICK HOUSE IN 1825. COOK FOUGHT IN THE WAR OF 1812 UNDER WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON. HE SERVED AS WOOD COUNTY SHERIFF BETWEEN 1853 AND 1857. HE IS PERHAPS BEST REMEMBERED FOR HIS LEADERSHIP OF THE TEMPERANCE CAMPAIGN IN PARKERSBURG DURING THE 1830S. IN 1833 THE PARKERSBURG TEMPERANCE SOCIETY WAS FORMED. ALL MEMBERS SIGNED A PLEDGE "TO EACH OTHER AND THE WORLD, OUR SACRED HONORS, THAT WE WILL NOT USE THEM (ARDENT SPIRITS)."

 

THIS ELEGANT HOME AT 420 THIRTEENTH STREET BELONGED TO THOMAS A. SAVAGE. SAVAGE OPERATED A DRY GOODS AND GROCERY STORE AT 1227 AVERY STREET . HE WAS ALSO GENERAL MANAGER OF THE SPRINGDALE ICE COMPANY AND OWNER OF SAVAGE FLATS, AN APARTMENT BUILDING AT THIRTEENTH AND AVERY.

 

 

COPYRIGHT 1997-2012 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR