early trains & streetcars parkersburg wv - Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair

EARLY PARKERSBURG TRAINS & STREETCARS 

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 900 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkersburg-WV/MACKEYS-ANTIQUES-CLOCK-REPAIR/141916939168718

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

  http://twitter.com/#!/mackeysclocks

 

THIS HORSE-DRAWN STREETCAR WAS OPERATED BY THE PARK CITY RAILWAY COMPANY FROM 1889 UNTIL THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG INSTALLED AN ELECTRIC CABLE CAR SYSTEM IN 1898. THE ADVERTISEMENT ON TOP OF THE CAR IS FOR MCKINNEY & DILS, FORERUNNER OF THE DILS BROTHERS AND COMPANY STORE.

MAY 23, 1943 'Victory' Trolley Placed in Operation Here Pictured above Is the new red, white and blue "Victory" trolley recently placed In operation by the Monongahela West Penn Public Service company In cooperation with the Wood County War Savings staff. The trolley one of the newer cars owned by the transportation company, has been seen on the various lines of the streetcar company during the past week. Its name "Victory" appears in the upper corner opposite the name of the line it is to serve. Pictured left to right: Ray L. McKim vice chairman of the Wood County War Savings staff; Fayette C. Smoot, chairman of the Wood County War Savings staff; Orpha Cross, reporter and Paul O. Summers division manager of the Monongahela West Penn Public Service company. 1943

 

 IN 1902 THE STREETCAR COMPANIES OF PARKERSBURG AND MARIETTA CONSOLIDATED TO FORM THE PARKERSBURG , MARIETTA , AND INTER-URBAN RAILWAY COMPANY. AFTER THE BRIDGE BETWEEN MARIETTA AND WILLIAMSTOWN WAS COMPLETED IN 1903 HOURLY SERVICE BEGAN BETWEEN THE TWO CITIES. AS MORE PEOPLE OWNED AUTOMOBILES, STREETCAR RIDERSHIP DECLINED. THE WILLIAMSTOWN-MARIETTA ROUTE WAS DISCONTINUED ON APRIL 27, 1947.

THE STREETCAR TRACK BETWEEN PARKERSBURG AND WILLIAMSTOWN WAS COMPLETED IN 1901. NOW FARMERS IN BOAZ COULD PICK THEIR PRODUCE IN THE MORNING AND HAVE IT ON THE MARKET BY EARLY AFTERNOON. IN 1902 THE STREETCAR COMPANIES OF MARIETTA AND PARKERSBURG CONSOLIDATED TO FORM THE PARKERSBURG , MARIETTA , AND INTER-URBAN RAILWAY COMPANY. WHEN THE MARIETTA-WILLIAMSTOWN BRIDGE WAS FINISHED IN 1903, REGULAR STREETCAR SERVICE BEGAN BETWEEN MARIETTA , WILLIAMSTOWN, AND PARKERSBURG.T HE STREETCAR PICTURED IS STOPPED IN BOAZ.THE SERVICE WAS DISCONTINUED IN 1947.

THIS 1906 STEAM ENGINE NUMBER 225 IS SITTING IN FRONT OF THE SQUARE SHED THAT HOUSED FOUR ENGINES IN THE PARKERSBURG RAILROAD YARD. THE SHED BURNED DOWN IN LATE 1906 AND WAS REPLACED BY A ROUNDHOUSE THAT HOUSED SIX ENGINES. THE TRAIN REQUIRED A FIVE-MAN CREW-THE ENGINEER, CONDUCTOR FIREMAN ,A FRONT BRAKEMAN AND A REAR BRAKEMAN. 

OLD-TIMERS IN PARKERSBURG FONDLY REMEMBER THE SPECIAL TRAINS TO OUT-OF-TOWN FOOTBALL GAMES. SPONSORED BY LOCAL BUSINESSMEN, THE FIRST FOOTBALL TRAIN LEFT PARKERSBURG TO ATTEND THE PARKERSBURG-HUNTINGTON CHAMPIONSHIP IN HUNTINGTON ON NOVEMBER 5, 1921. THE FOLLOWING YEAR THE PARKERSBURG LIONS CLUB ASSUMED SPONSORSHIP OF THE TRAINS. THE LONGEST TRAIN TO LEAVE PARKERSBURG CARRIED APPROXIMATELY 4,000 FANS TO WHEELING FOR THE PHS- WHEELING GAME. DUE TO HIGH COSTS, THE TRAINS WERE CANCELED IN THE LATE 1950s

SINCE THERE WAS NO BRIDGE ACROSS THE LITTLE KANAWHA RIVER , TRAINS WERE TAKEN DOWN THIS INCLINE OFF FIFTH STREET , PUT ON A FERRY, AND TAKEN UP RIVER TO JOHNSON STATION (BEHIND THE VISCOSE PLANT). ONCE THERE, THE TRAINS WERE HOOKED ONTO TRACKS THAT WENT 33.1 MILES TO OWENS PORT , NOW CALLED PALESTINE . THE BUILDING ON THE RIGHT IN THE PICTURE ISSTILL THERE TODAY.

THE BUMADINA KING IS SHOWN FERRYING AN ENGINE AND TWO CARS FROM THE INCLINE AT THE BOTTOM OF FIFTH STREET TO HOOK-UP WITH THE TRACK THAT WENT TO OWENS PORT , NOW CALLED PALESTINE . FROM 1857 TO 1860 SIMILAR FERRIES TOOK RAILROAD CARS, BUT NOT ENGINES, FROM PARKERSBURG ACROSS THE OHIO RIVER TO SCOTS LANDING, NOW MOORE 'S JUNCTION, SOUTH OF MARIETTA TO HOOK UP ON THE MARIETTA-CINCINNATI ROUTE . IN 1860 A HOOK-UP WAS ESTABLISHED AT THE FOOT OF FOURTH STREET IN BELPRE

 

DURING THE GREAT DEPRESSION THEATER ATTENDANCE DECLINED ALL OVER THE UNITED STATES. WARNER BROTHERS SENT THIS GROUP OF YOUNG ACTRESSES AROUND THE COUNTRY TO GIVE SHOWS AND PROMOTE ATTENDANCE AT THEATERS THAT HAD CONTRACTS WITH WARNER BROTHERS. THE GROUP APPEARED IN PARKERSBURG IN 1931 AT THE SMOOT THEATER

AN INTERURBAN STREETCAR WRECKS AFTER STRIKING A MULE ON THE TRACKS AT CENTRAL, CIRCA 1920. THE STREETCAR WAS TRAVELING FROM WILLIAMSTOWN TO PARKERSBURG . NO PASSENGERS WERE INJURED.  

OHIO RIVER RAILROAD UNDER CONSTRUCTION BETWEEN PARKERSBURG AND WILLIAMSTOWN IN 1883.

A STREET CAR CARRYING MUSICIANS TO THE SMOOT THEATER  RUMBLES ALONG EIGHTH STREET PAST THE PARKERSBURG YMCA

THE SIXTH STREET TRAIN STATION IN PARKERSBURG SERVED THE MAIN BALTIMORE & OHIO RAIL LINE FROM ST. LOUIS TO BALTIMORE , CIRCA 1897.THE BRICK STATION WAS BUILT IN 1883 AND DEMOLISHED IN 1973

THE RAILROAD STATION AT ANN AND SECOND STREETS OPENED IN 1887 AND WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1959. THE TRAIN STATION SERVED THE WHEELING TO HUNTINGTON RAIL LINE, CIRCA 1920.

COPYRIGHT 1997-2012 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR