early Marietta & washington county ohio - Mackey's Antique clock repair parkersburg wv

EARLY WASHINGTON COUNTY OHIO

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 900 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkersburg-WV/MACKEYS-ANTIQUES-CLOCK-REPAIR/141916939168718

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

http://twitter.com/#!/mackeysclocks

 

Front & Putnam Streets Marietta, 1890s

Front & Putnam Streets Marietta, 1920s

Freight and passenger station Marietta,Ohio,October,1917. Electric railways played an important part in the history and development of the Parkersburg- Marietta area. This line was operated by the Kanawha Traction and Electric Company' a forebear of Monongahela Power.

 

The Anchorage one of Washington County's earliest entrepreneurs, as well as Marietta's bon vivant, lived in the Italianate style mansion at the end of Putnam Street in Harmar. Douglas Putnam, bank president, owner of Harmar Bucket Factory and a founder of Marietta College , built Putnam Place in 1859. Sandstone for the house's 24-inch-thick walls was quarried from the hill behind Putnam Place . Local oak was used throughout the house. The cupola provided a commanding view of downtown Marietta . Putnam, who helped bring the railroad to the county, died at Putnam Place in 1894.

The front hallway of the Anchorage in Marietta , as well as the entire mansion, was furnished lavishly.

Eddie MacTaggart, dressed in white, sits in his Pierce Arrow car, surrounded by friends in front of the Anchorage . Harry Butler was MacTaggart's chauffeur and caretaker of the Anchorage 's park-like grounds on the side of Harmar Hill.

Parkersburg-Marietta Interurban Railway Co. built Ferncliff Pavilion & Park along the streetcar line and the Muskingum River near Devola in 1904. The park, with its playground and dance hall, served as a rural retreat for city folks until it closed around 1920. Marietta Country Club with its nine-hole golf course was open from 1899-1933 at Devola.

The Doodlebug ran daily between Zanesville and Belpre Parkersburg on the B & 0 Railroad line from 1933-53. The Doodlebug, consisting of one passenger car and one postal/freight car, pulls into the Waterford train station.

Marietta druggist E.N. Ogden and his wife, Daisy, of 530 Second St. go for one of the first automobile rides in Marietta . Ogden named the single-cylinder 1901 Oldsmobile, "Daisy 0", after his wife.

A pontoon bridge connects the east and west sides of Marietta after the Putnam Street Bridge was knocked off its piers by a swollen Muskingum River in March 1913.The stone piers and bridge decking can be seen at left.

Front Street at Butler Jan. 24,1937.Two day later, the J. Wittlig & Sons clock at 208 Front St. was underwater. Ten and a half feet of water filled the lobby of the Lafayette Hotel on Jan. 27,1937.

It took this Fordson tractor five hours on muddy roads to haul a 60-foot-long oil drilling stem from Belle Valley to Marietta , a distance of 40 miles. The photograph was taken in front of the Ford agency on Second Street .

Businessman/farmer Harry G. Chamberlain of Devola watched a young man unload ashes from railroad cars faster than any two men combined. Chamberlain was so impressed by Fred "Cabbage" Curtis's work ethic that he offered him a job for life. Curtis (shown in a 1916 model truck) accepted Chamberlain's offer. He worked for the Chamberlains' Crescent Supply Co. and on their 162-acre Walnut Hill Farm for more than 60years. The Chamberlains had a house built for Fred and his wife, Priscilla, on the Devola farm. Fred died in 1990 at the age of 94.

Belpre's Main Street School was constructed in 1876. Seventh through twelth grades were moved from the Main Street School to the new high school in 1929, and the grade school portion closed in 1951. The building was demolished in 1994

Belpre's Main Street near Second Street (now Washington Boulevard ), circa 1918. Captain Jonathan Stone, Captain William Dana and Colonel Israel Putnam were among Belpre's earliest settlers.

 

 

The Belpre House, or Belpre B & 0 Hotel, was built in 1874 at the corner of Clement Avenue and Pomeroy Pike. The hotel, with its 45 rooms, large ballroom and dining room, was the leading social center in Belpre. The hotel closed in 1911 but was reopened to house victims of the 1913 flood. The hotel was demolished in 1915.

 

Belpre's train depot stood between Depot Street and Campus Drive near the underpass from 1904 to 1965. The train station served the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad line.

Water entered nearly every house and business in Belpre during the flood of March 29, 1913. The elevated railroad tracks remained dry as the river crested at 58 feet. Floodwaters surrounded Belpre High School in 1937, when the river reached 55 feet

A scene outside Wilcoxen Livery and Stable at Walnut Street and Blennerhassett Avenue . A horse-drawn hearse is in front. Belpre, platted in 1852, was a bustling river town before the 1913 flood. After the flood, merchants moved off the river onto higher ground. Captain Jonathan Devol, one of the 48 pioneers, spurred Belpre's development when he built a floating grist mill on the Ohio River in 1791.

Belpre Volunteer Fire Department in front of the village hall on Maple Street , 1937. Front row, from left: Jerome Frost, Dale Spencer, Edward Fleming, Fred Frazier, Don Brookhart, William Mulligan, Fire Chief Russell Hudson, Lt. Dallas Casley, Lt. MacMartin, Dale Brookhart and C. Dale Welch. Second row: Carl Schweikert, Okey Adams, Talbot Bush and Michael Moore.

Alonzo W. Clifton , center, served as Little Hocking postmaster from his store, circa 1908. Revolutionary War soldier Nathaniel Sawyer was instrumental in the settling of Little Hocking around 1790. In 1798, Sawyer built a house along the Ohio River at Little Hocking that still stands today. The Sawyer-Curtis House is one of the last remaining houses from the pioneer period in southeast Ohio Alonzo W. Clifton , center, served as Little Hocking postmaster from his store, circa 1908. Revolutionary War soldier Nathaniel Sawyer was instrumental in the settling of Little Hocking around 1790. In 1798, Sawyer built a house along the Ohio River at Little Hocking that still stands today. The Sawyer-Curtis House is one of the last remaining houses from the pioneer period in southeast Ohio

A boardwalk stretched in front of a doctor's office, barbershop, general store and other businesses in downtown Bartlett , circa 1900. Children crawled under the boardwalk in search of pennies. In 1891, Bartlett had 18 businesses, including two hotels. Two major fires struck Bartlett in the early 1900s. At one time, the village consisted of two communities Plymouth and Pleasanton . Quakers settled in Wesley Township , which served as a route along the Underground Railroad for helping slaves reach freedom

A steam engine pulling a threshing machine crashed through a bridge near Cutler, circa 1900. Fifty years later, a truck plunged through the floorboards of Turkey Hen Covered Bridge on Warren Township 126.

Beverly 's streetcar barn stood at Fifth and Ferry streets until the transportation system closed in 1929. It cost 30 cents to ride the streetcar from Beverly to Marietta . The cars crossed at least four trestles between Lowell and Beverly. A waiting shed for passengers was established at the Lowell end of Coal Run.

A group waits for the next train to arrive at Waterford station. Water reached the bottom of the railroad tracks at the underpass during the 1913 flood. Flood waters entered the bank, post office and houses in Waterford 's business district.

Howard and Wilda English owned English's Confectionery, a popular business in Matamoras, circa 1930. The shop sat in the brick block of Main Street . Howard served as village marshal in the 1940s. Children could see movies for a dime and adults were charged 25 cents at the Palace Theater. At the turn of the century, Matamoras had a population of 1,200 people

The Land Office at Marietta was built in 1788 for General Rufus Putnam and the Ohio Company to conduct business, prepare maps for selling lots and to store maps and land records. The 27- foot by 20-foot building at 112 Washington St. was rented to tenants from 1865 until 1900. The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America purchased and restored the structure in the early 1900s. In November 1953, the Land Office, the oldest building in the North west Territory , was moved to the rear lawn of Campus Martius Museum .

 

General Rufus Putnam's house before the Campus Martius Museum was constructed around it in1 933.The plank structure stands on the same spot it occupied in the Campus Martius fortification, which was built from 1788 to 1791 along the Muskingum River at Marietta. Putnam's house was completed in 1791.

Constitution's post office/train station/general store sat near County Road 3, Warren Township , in 1908. The post office opened around 1832 in Judge Ephraim Cutler's house along the Ohio River and conducted business in other buildings until 1978. Before the railroad arrived, mail was delivered by steamboat to the Constitution Post Office. The post office was named in honor of Ephraim Cutler, who helped to write Ohio 's Constitution. At one time, the community had a one-room school, general store, barbershop and doctor's office. In 1880, Warren Township had 1,906 residents.

Before ending its service to Marietta in 1916, the Marietta , Columbus & Cleveland Railroad assisted in the growth of Washington County . During the 1913 flood, the railroad brought relief supplies to area residents and rescued stranded citizens. This photograph was taken Feb. 4, 1915.

Crews lay Marietta 's cobblestone streets around the turn of the century.

 

Washington County farmers place their produce on railroad cars at Union Depot, Marietta , circa 1914

Waitress Golden Myers, front at left, and other employees inside Broughton's restaurant at 128 Putnam St. Marietta , 1937. Broughton's Farm Dairy was incorporated in 1933 with Carl Broughton as president and Robert Broughton, secretary/treasurer. Reggie Best, a former Broughton's restaurant manager, remembered Carl Broughton as being a kind person and "the greatest guy in the world."

George and Luella Schneider operated a feed store and livery stable at 223 Second St. in the 1890s.In 1893, Schneider's was one of five such businesses in Marietta . An advertisement stated that Schneider's kept horses by the day, week or month, and leased horses and buggies

Edwin Thomas McPherson used a threshing machine on his 2S0-acre farm in Decatur and Belpre townships. A thresher separated the grain from the husks. In 1924, the Ladies Aid of Decatur United Methodist Church raised money by embroidering hundreds of names on a "crazy quilt." In 1937, a tornado leveled houses and a church in the Decatur Township area

Sandstone grindstones, quarried from the hills above Route 7 between Marietta and Belpre, were finished at mills like this near Constitution. The stones were transported by tram car from the quarry to the mill along the railroad tracks. Trains carried the Washington County grindstones to companies across the country. Hall Grindstone Co. and Constitution Stone Co. were two of the largest local companies. The Constitution area, along with Fleming and Vincent, was the center of the grindstone industry from the 1830s through the early 1960s. Synthetic abrasives knocked the quarries out of business.

William F. Wesel established Marietta Ignition at 130 Greene St. on Oct. 1, 1920, and moved the business to 181 Front St. in 1925. The business, which began as a magneto and electrical repair shop, moved to its present location at 321 Second St. in 1967. When William died in 1945, his wife, Genevieve, ran the store until 1961. William and Genevieve's children -Joseph Wesel, Bill Wesel, Catherine Dickson and Mary Agnes Augenstein -now operate the automotive parts supply business, which has 10 stores.