early wood county west virginia - Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair

EARLY WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA

IMPERIAL ICE CREAM CO. 

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 900 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkersburg-WV/MACKEYS-ANTIQUES-CLOCK-REPAIR/141916939168718

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

http://twitter.com/#!/mackeysclocks

 

Wood County Court Officials, left to right: county Clerk Hatcher, Circuit Court Judge J. M. Jackson, Prosecuting Attorney J. B. Jackson, Circuit Clerk L. P. Neal, Judge Cyrus Hall, Sheriff Jerry Hill. 1890s

 

On November 10, 1800, the Court of Wood County held its first meeting and agreed to build a Courthouse on land belonging to John Stokely, near the Junction of the Ohio and Little Kanawha Rivers. Stokely donated Two Acres to the County and the Courthouse was built at what is now the Corner of Second and Juliana streets. it was used as the Courthouse until 1817. after that the Building was occupied as a residence until the flood of 1884. later the Rex Hardware Company occupied the Building.

 

Wood County's Third Courthouse was built on the site of the present Courthouse Square and stood from 1817 until the fall of 1860. a $400 bell hung in the steeple. it was in the Third Courthouse that 13 votes were cast for Abraham Lincoln at a time when only the bravest dared stem the tide of Virginia Opinion. 

 

The Fourth Courthouse was completed and ready for use in 1860. little is known about the Fourth Courthouse. Troops were Mobilized in the Courthouse during the Civil War. Lightning struck its Steeple around 1873 and the steeple was replaced with a large cupola.

 

On October 5,1899, Wood County culminated a three-day celebration of its Centennial with a Parade that included 100 floats, Musical entertainment, fireworks, and the laying of the Cornerstone for the new Courthouse. a tremendous crowd gathered on Court Square as the Eight-ton cornerstone was eased into place. Judge J. M. Jackson, grand orator of the grand lodge of Masons, Addressed the crowd, dedicating the new Building to the "preservation of society and the promotion of morality and public decency. a box containing over 200 items, primarily business cards, was embedded in the cornerstone.

 

Independence day parade Market Street. Early 1900s

 

A copy of the only known photo of a portrait of former Virginia Governor. James Wood the 11th Governor of Virginia 1796 to 1799  Wood County Virginia was created December 1798  Wood County Virginia was named after Governor Wood who was Governor at the time. Governor Wood born 1741 and died 1813 - this picture was Courtesy of Wood Commissioner Rick Modesitt

 

Rosenheim Liquor Store, Parkersburg 1897

 

This Horse & Buggy with his kids belonged to sea captain George Deming in front of Historic Juliana Street House 1102 Juliana Street 1860s

 

Big Celebration at the Wood County Court House Early 1920s

 

Hebrank-Rapp Brewery under Construction. the Brewery was built by Lewis Hebrank, and his Cousin, Marcus Rapp, 1859, behind house at 440 Marrtown Road (next to old Foglesong's Gas Station.

for History of Brewery click link below

HEBRANK-RAPP - PARKERSBURG BREWERY HISTORY

 

Rapp & Hebrank Lager Beer Brewery 1859 440 Brewery Road later called Marrtown Road in 1896 there was a new Brewery built at 648 7th St Parkersburg W they changed the name to Parkersburg Brewery

for history of Brewery click link below

HEBRANK-RAPP - PARKERSBURG BREWERY HISTORY

 

 

George Theis delivered ice for the Parkersburg Ice Company 1907

 

The New Parkersburg Brewery Built in 1896 at 648 7th St Parkersburg wv

 

Henry C. Ruf (left) and Bill Stetro get read to haul Beer in front of the Parkersburg Brewery

 

As has often been stated the war between the states quite often pitted brother against brother. the choice of loyalty also split counties, rural communities and neighborhoods. many strong feelings of loyalty and resentment continued after the war was ended. in September 1864, Abram Deem, a peaceful and well-liked farmer from Lubeck district who had shown sympathy to the southern cause, was murdered by two of his neighbors, Daniel Grogan and Thomas Boice. a third person, Mortimer Gibbony, was also convicted of the murder; Gibbony was not from this area. all the murderers were of the union persuasion. following a rather swift trial and sentencing, the wheels of justice were slowed as appeals were made. finally, in February 1866, Grogan and Boice were hung within the shadows of the then vacant, Fort Boreman . Gibbony, who had escaped the local jail a few months before, was finally captured and in June 1866, he climbed the same gallows steps that his two accomplices had climbed but a few months before. it was recorded that Thousands of people came to Parkersburg to witness these two gruesome events.

 

Allen Yoho on the delivery wagon of his brother's store Charles T Yoho, Grocer, on Court Square in Parkersburg.

 

Edwin S. Butcher built the Half Way House along Elizabeth Pike in Slate District in the early 1860s. North of the hotel was Butcher Bend, a large area bordered by a curve in the Little Kanawha River.  

 

Mick Ward drives a hearse in front of Pat Ward's livery stable at Second and Market streets, 1920s.

 

United Woolen Mills Co. Tailors 3rd & Market St 1912

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Carr Thomas Levett in front of the Familys Livery, Harness and Fertilzer Business at 2nd & Julianna 1898 later known Levett Funeral Home 

 

Earl Tebay, Right and Harry Enright, left, Amos Tebay Dairy Co. Employees, Make down town Parkersburg delivery 1909

 

A portion of the old Parkersburg Staunton Turnpike east of Parkersburg is shown. The buildings to the right are part of the old tile plant. The trestle that crossed the brick roadway was used to bring clay from Lee's Hill. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parkersburg Creamery Co, 841-845 7th St. delivered dairy products July 1929

 

Allen Yoho, holding mop, at J. S. Paxon & Company Grocers, in downtown Parkersburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Louis Stork Launched his Baking Co. in Parkersburg in 1919 with a Truck and one Wagon, by the 1920s all Deliveries from the 19th and Latrobe St were being made by Truck. 

 

Hills Central Hotel on Court Square was a popular stop over for travelers passing through Parkersburg in the early 1800s was built around 1819 as the Bell Tavern, later housed the Commercial Hotel

 

Clarence R. Emrick of Parkersburg owned trucks that hauled sand and gravel to Road Construction sites in West Virginia in the late 1920s and early 1930s  

Charles E. Kimble left and Earl Parks worked in Wood County Road Construction Sep. 15th 1921 

 

An Interurban Streetcar wrecks after striking a Mule on the tracks at central, Circa 1920. the Streetcar was traveling from Williamstown to Parkersburg . no passengers were injured. 

 

A warm Welcome from Parkersburg's Imperial Ice Cream Co. which parked its trucks along lower Sixth Street , 1920s  

Letter Carriers at the Parkersburg Post Office  1937

COPYRIGHT 1997-2014 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR