parkersburg wv flood wall Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair

PARKERSBURG FLOOD WALL UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.net

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.org

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 2500 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

 

Parkersburg Flood Wall Under Construction Year Unknown but Construction of the

Flood Wall began in March of 1946 and completed the work in April of 1950.
 

 

Parkersburg Flood Wall Under Construction Year Unknown but Construction of the

Flood Wall began in March of 1946 and completed the work in April of 1950.
 

 

Parkersburg Flood Wall Under Construction Year Unknown but Construction of the

Flood Wall began in March of 1946 and completed the work in April of 1950.
 

 

Parkersburg Flood Wall Under Construction Year Unknown but Construction of the

Flood Wall began in March of 1946 and completed the work in April of 1950.
 

 

Parkersburg Flood Wall Under Construction Year Unknown but Construction of the

Flood Wall began in March of 1946 and completed the work in April of 1950.
 

 

Parkersburg Flood Wall Under Construction Year Unknown but Construction of the

Flood Wall began in March of 1946 and completed the work in April of 1950.
 

 

Parkersburg Flood Wall Under Construction Year Unknown but Construction of the

Flood Wall began in March of 1946 and completed the work in April of 1950.
 

 

Parkersburg Flood Wall Under Construction Year Unknown but Construction of the

Flood Wall began in March of 1946 and completed the work in April of 1950.
 

The flood wall from the Old Belpre Bridge.

 

Flood Wall began in March of 1946 and completed the work in April of 1950.
 

Devastating floods finally inspired the city’s fathers to initiate the construction of a floodwall to protect Parkersburg—in 1946 when funds were available after the high cost of World War II. Under the supervision of the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, builders began its construction in March of 1946 and completed the work in April of 1950.

The wall begins on the Little Kanawha River at the Fifth Street Bridge and extends west to the Ohio River and then north to 34th Street and Murdock Avenue. The project has 10,400 feet of concrete walls and 9,600 feet of earthen levee. It is designed to guard against a flood the size of the 1913 flood.

In the wall

63,000 cubic yards of concrete. 8,840,246 pounds of reinforcing steel. 600,100 cubic yards of earth. Through the wall There are 14 openings through the wall for highway, railroad and pedestrian access. During high water the gate openings are closed by hand using wooden or aluminum logs. The gates were last closed in 1992.

Construction of the wall The concrete wall sections are built like an inverted “T” with the width of the underground base equal to or slightly greater than the height of the wall. Height of concrete wall Average: 21.5 feet, Maximum: 30 feet Height of earthen levee Average: 22 feet, Maximum: 30 feet
 

home_page.gif (1111 bytes)

 

©  The collection of all content on this website is the property of Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair and is protected by U.S. and International copyright laws © copyright 1997-2017 All Rights Reserved