g e smith jeweler - Mackey;s Antiques & Clock Repair

 G. E. SMITH JEWELER OF PARKERSBURG 

 

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.net

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.org

 

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 1000 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

 

HISTORY OF G. E. SMITH JEWELER OF PARKERSBURG AT BOTTOM OF PAGE

The G. E. Smith, Jeweler Established in Parkersburg in I852 as G. E. Smith, Jeweler, by Gustavus Edward Smith, G. E. SMITH'S SON is the oldest jewelry store in West Virginia. The founder of this business, which' likewise is one of the state's most exclusive stores. was later joined by his two sons-Herman Otto Smith and Frank S. Smith-to form the firm name of G. E. Smith & Sons. Upon the death of G. Smith the firm became known as G. E. Smith's Sons and became G. E. Smith's Son when Frank Smith left the business. H. O. Smith died in the summer of 1933 and the store was managed by G. E. Smith, grandson of the original G. E Smith, the founder. This historic jewelry firm has therefore .come down through e period of 83 years under the management and ownership of three generations. 1935

 

Inside The G. E. Smith, Jeweler 1935

 

Inside The G. E. Smith, Jeweler 1896

 

The G. E. Smith & Sons Jewelers Clock 714 Market Street Opposite Camden Theater Established 1852 Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh

 

G. E. Smith Gustavus Edward Smith, leading jeweler of Parkersburg 1896

 

Frank S. Smith Son of Gustavus Edward Smith 1896

 

Herman O Smith Son of Gustavus Edward Smith 1896

 

 

1896 G. E. Smith jeweler of Parkersburg

 

G. E. Smith Gustavus E. Smith, a leading jeweler of Parkersburg, and the oldest living merchant in that line of business in the city, is a native of Wurtemburg, Germany, having been born in Marbach, in 1828. Learning his trade, that of watchmaker and jeweler, at the age of fourteen, after he had received the splendid training of the German public schools, he, in conformance to the universal custom in that country, served two years in the German army. After being honorably discharged from the army he came to the United States, where he was employed at his trade for a little over a year.

 

He was already al typical example of those thorough fine and competent workmen produced only by the thorough manual and mechanical training. The old country did not yield him the opportunities and full scope for the exercise of his skill and" talent, so following the path so profitably trod by many of his countrymen, he came to the United States in 1851. His skilled hand and brain were not long in finding employment. First he came to Huntingdon, Pa., thence to Wheeling. W. Va., where for a short time he was employed by the well known jewelry house of J. T. S the place in which he was to rise by honest dealing and fair, square business methods, to affluence and a place in the highest esteem of his business associates.

 

He felt that this ·field was reached when, in November, 1852, he arrived in this city and here he stayed. At the first start he opened up a small store for himself. As his business steadily increased he moved, first into the room in which Milt. Peyton now has his barber shop, where he stayed until, in 1856,he erected his own building on Third street-the one now occupied by the store of E. B. Potts. Here, it may be said, Mr. Smith established beyond the vicissitudes of further change the enduring reputation for square and honest dealing, which has always distinguished him and which, by his long and faithful service of his customers, came to be permanently associated with his name and place of  business. But a business growing at the rate at which Mr. Smith's grew, must inevitably outgrow its quarters.

 

In the latter part of 1889, it became palpable that a large and more commodious house for what was already the largest business of its kind in this city, must be provided. Therefore, about this time Mr. Smith began the erection of his present magnificent block. In July, 1890, he moved into the palatial place of business, one of the finest in the city or State, which he has since occupied. Besides enjoying the distinction of being the founder of the oldest jewelry establishment in the State, Mr. Smith can point with pardonable pride to the many proficient jewelers who largely owe their capability to their serving an apprenticeship under the experienced eye an skilled direction of this past-master of his trade.

 

Mr. Smith is a stockholder and director of the First National Bank and stockholder in the Electric Light and Gas Co., besides being extensively interested in real estate. Mr. Smith was married October 11, 1853, to Miss Oehldorf, and to this union nine children were born, eight of whom are living-two sons and six daughters  In October, 1891,Mr. Smith took into partnership his two sons, Frank and Herman, both energetic and capable. Business men and the style adopted was G. E. Smith & Sons. Upon the formation of the new firm the stock was largely increased, they now carrying a full line of watches, clocks, jewelry and diamonds, the stock of the latter being the largest in this section, consisting of both loose and mounted goods, Being diamond setters, loose stones can be bought to great advantage, and customers can, if they desire, see the workman set the stone they select.

 

All makes of American watches, as well as all grades of foreign makes, in over 800 styles, are on display to select from. In ladies' watches all the different fads and fancies, as well as the more substantial in cases, etc., are always kept in stock. Sterling silverware, electro-plated wares, Rockwood pottery, rich cut glass, spectacles and eye glasses are a prominent factor in the make-up of this gigantic stock. The optical department is in charge of a first-class optician, who will test and fit the eyes free of charge. All goods sold. by this house are engraved free of charge, the best engraver in the city being employed here, while skilled workmen only attend to the repairing of watches, clocks and jewelry, all work in this line being warranted.

 

Our illustration represents the interior of G. E. Smith & Sons' business palace, which is 80 feet deep by 20 feet

wide. The interior is decorated in the latest style, these combined effects making one of the handsomest stores and stocks in the country, as anyone can testify who has been fortunate enough to have visited the place.

 

 

 

 

©  The collection of all content on this website is the property of Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair and is protected by U.S. and International copyright laws © copyright 1997-2016 All Rights Reserved