HISTORY OF JUDGE JOHN JACKSON AND HIS HOME
Mackey's Antiques & Clock
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.net
Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.org
Wood County History Photography & Scenery http://www.wchps.net
Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com
Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/
Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/
For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures
HISTORY OF JUDGE JOHN JACKSON
Born in Parkersburg, Virginia (now Parkersburg West Virginia ), Jackson graduated from Princeton University in 1845, and read Law to enter the Bar in Virginia in 1847. Jackson's father, General John Jay Jackson of Wood County, attended the Wheeling Convention on West Virginia statehood. Jackson's brother Jacob Beeson Jackson served as governor of West Virginia and his other brother was Circuit Judge and Congressman James Monroe Jackson. He was a cousin of Stonewall Jackson. His grandfather, John George Jackson, preceded him as judge of the United States District Court for Western District Of Virginia. His great-grandfathers included George Jackson. The Jackson Memorial Fountain at Parkersburg is dedicated to the Jackson family.
Jackson was in private practice in Wirt County, Virginia from 1847 to 1848, and a prosecuting attorney for Wirt County in 1848. He was a Commonwealth attorney of Ritchie County, Virginia from 1849 to 1850, then returned to private practice in Wood County Virginia. until 1851. He was a Member, of the Virginia House Of Delegates from 1851 to 1855, and then returned to private practice, in Parkersburg until 1861.
On July 26, 1861, President Abraham Lincoln nominated Jackson to a seat on the United States District Court for Western District Of Virginia. Vacated by John Brockenbrough, who had resigned to join the Confederate government. Jackson was confirmed by the United States Senate on August 3, 1861, and received his commission the same day. At the time of Jackson's appointment, Virginia And West Virginia were still a single state. However, early in the course of the American Civil War, the western portion of Virginia rejected Virginia's secession from the United States, and itself seceded from Virginia.
This area largely coincided with the existing Western District of Virginia. West Virginia was thereafter admitted as a state on June 20, 1863, and on June 11, 1864, by 13 Stat. 124, the court for the Western District of Virginia became the United States District Court for the District of West Virginia. Those parts of the Western District that were not part of West Virginia were combined with the Eastern District to again form a single District of Virginia. After 1864, the only federal judge for Virginia was John Curtiss Underwood. There was no Western District of Virginia from 1864 until 1871, when Alexander Rives took the bench after the Western District was re-established following the War.
Jackson was reassigned by Operation of the Law to the newly formed United States District Court for the District of West Virginia. Notwithstanding his status as a Republican appointee, Judge Jackson ruled in 1870 that West Virginia's ex-Confederates were eligible to vote under the Fifteenth Amendment which had profound effects on the polity in West Virginia.
On July 1, 1901, the District of West Virginia was subdivided into the United States District Court for the Northen District of West Virginia. and the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia.
Jackson was reassigned to the Northern District, until his retirement on March 15, 1905, at the age of 80. Because he had served from before the creation of the District of West Virginia until after its subdivision, Jackson was the only judge to ever sit on the United States District Court for the District of West Virginia. Having served for nearly forty-four years, including over forty years in the federal courts in West Virginia, Jackson was known as "the Iron Judge". He was the longest-serving judge appointed by Lincoln.
Jackson died in 1907, in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
John Jay Jackson, Jr. Born August 4, 1824 Parkersburg West Virginia U. S.
Died September 2, 1907(1907-09-02) (aged 83) Atlantic City, New Jersey. U. S. Occupation Judge
JUDGE JOHN JACKSON HOME
Parts of the original Judge John Jackson home which stood over 120 years ago at 519 Seventh St. Parkersburg, was purchased in 1946 by Parkersburg Post 15, The American Legion. The post purchased the home to be converted into a club house for members. During the days when the Jackson family lived in the home, many parties and special events were hosted by daughter Lily Irene Jackson, who enjoyed entertaining. Ms. Jackson enjoyed living in an aura of glamour and was a hostess in the West Virginia building at the World's Fair in Chicago Ill. in 1892. The Jackson home in which she lived represented her lavish taste and was always incredibly decorated, showing her elegance and style.
In a 1963 West Virginia Centennial article it stated the house was beautifully furnished with statuary pieces, paintings and huge glass chandeliers, giving evidence of her intense interest in art. Had she lived today she might have been a famous painter in her own right. She gave many of her paintings to her friends and many were purchased by local people. Known for her original ideas, her mock wedding party was indeed a sensation in 1891 as she sent out engraved invitations to about 200 friends inviting them to her wedding. On purpose, the name of the groom was omitted. Upon the moment she was to enter the room, guests witnessed her descending along stairway in a white dress. Ms. Jackson was wedded to Faith, Hope and Charity. A reception was held following her Mock ceremony, after which she changed into a going away ensemble and came down stairs to bid her guests good evening.
The article described the interior of the home with an immense hall running the length of the home which was divided into two parts. On the left was a drawing room also running the full length with gold wood work and period furniture in colors of sapphire and pink. Over the fireplace was a huge marble mantle piece, large glass chandeliers and a rug of blue and rose design. A grand piano stood at one end of the room with the walls holding many paintings A 1963 article in W. Va: Centennial states, On the immediate right of the hallway, was the library which was used by the family as we use our living rooms today.
The rug was of a rich cardinal color and books and pictures lined the walls. All the furniture was of walnut with a large marble mantel and statuary. There were wide French doors at the farther end of the room which led into the dining room beyond. This room was also done in walnut with a buffet enormous round dining table and an old fashioned side board with an elk's head carved of the wood on top. The kitchen, pantries and large laundry were just beyond and took up the entire rear of the first floor.
A wide stairway led to the second floor with one of the rooms being Ms. Jackson's which was done in turquoise satin. A guest room was situated next to it with a bath, drawing room and guest rooms down the hall. During Ms. Jackson's stay in the home, the third floor was only used as storage space but during earlier times it could have been used as a ballroom. In discussing the structure of the home many disagree as to how it was built. Different reports state the back was done first while others believe the front part was built first.
Later, three different buildings were discovered by workmen when remodeling was done but still no one was certain as to where the building began. The house was originally named after the judge's wife "Carrie S. Gleim Jackson, whom he married in 1847. According to historians, the home Carrinda, was completed and occupied by Judge Jackson and his family in 1867, just four years after West Virginia became a state.
The Jackson couple became the proud parents of Benjamin V. Jackson and Lily Irene Jackson. Judge Jackson had a great reputation in his work and being so prominent he was appointed to the federal bench for Western District of West Virginia by President Abraham Lincoln in 1861. Many stories have been cited concerning Judge Jackson's generosity and kindness to residents of the area. He was a resident of the Jackson home until his death in 1907 his wife dying four years before him along with his son, Bejamin.
© The collection of all content on this website is the property of Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair and is protected by U.S. and International copyright laws © copyright 1997-2017 All Rights Reserved