more 5 old parkersburg wv pictures - mackey's antique clock repair parkersburg wv

 PAGE 5 MORE OLD PARKERSBURG WV PICTURES 

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 1000 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

 

Parkersburg Belpre Bridge under Construction Parkersburg's most important bridge was built in 1914. Four prominent citizens, including Harry Camden and J. M. Caldwell, sold their stock in various companies in order to finance a much needed bridge over the Ohio River into Belpre 0. the county court offered its cooperation and construction got under way. fifth street was chosen for the site A cable suspension type bridge, it was built by a German Engineer named Laub who was called in from Pittsburgh. He reportedly designed it after the Rhine Bridge at Coblenz in his home country. The floor was originally of wooden blocks overlain with rails that were supposed to have run trolleys to Athens, a project that was never completed. In 1927 a D. B. Crawford purchased the bridge, then sold it to the state ten years later. In the early fifties the bridge was closed and the old wooden floor was replaced by a modern steel one. The bridge was demolished March 16 1980. Picture Courtesy Hank Oldaker

 

Cunningham Auto Company Dort Cars & International Motor Trucks 401-5 Ann Street Parkersburg to the left you can see the Old Belpre Bridge.  Picture Courtesy of Rich Allender

 

Dils Motor Mart 315 Ann Street 1940s

 

Couch Tire 614 Juliana Street 1940s

 

McClinton Chevrolet 327 8th street 1942

 

Parkersburg Creamery Truck at Leo Tyson's Esso service Station 30th & Emerson Ave 1957 Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh 

 

Broughton Truck at Leo Tyson's Esso service Station 30th & Emerson Ave 1957 Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh

 

Remember Roseland Grocery at 36th & Roseland? It was owned by  (Myrtle & Frank Yearego) from 1946-1969 Picture Courtesy of There Grandson David Freshour 

 

Fifth Street Toll Bridge, South Side July 20 1940  During the heated contest over the Juliana /Market bridge in 1888, one individual formally proposed a location at 5th Street. In 1937 his projection was realized when the Public Works Administration put up the Fifth Street Bridge, and opened it with proper ribbon cutting ceremonies on May 7th. 1937 It was paid for by tolls taken from it and the East St. Bridge. In 1907 a Kanawha bridge was built for the trolley lines of the Parkersburg Marietta Inter Urban Co. Called the East Street Bridge it opened in time for the 1908 Fair at Shattuck Park. Primarily a toll bridge, it was purchased in 1937 by the State. 

 

The City Parkersburg License Plate 1916-17 Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh

 

New Haven Clock Made By Vitro Agate Marble Factory Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh

 

35tgh Annual Encampment Dept. Of West Virginia G. A. R. Parkersburg May 22 23 24 1917 Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh

 

Mertin (Pop ) Folglesong Service Station Marrtown 1947 Picture courtesy Janet foglesong Dakin

 

Mertin (Pop ) Folglesong and his son Ayward Foglesong in front of Pops Tire shop 1947 Picture courtesy Janet foglesong Dakin

 

Charles Andrew Shepherd's sent this Picture to his Son Frank Delano Shepherd Oct 28th 1952 when Frank was in the Korean War. Charles Andrew Shepherd's 1948 or 1949 Chevy 4 door Sedan. Frank's Sister on the Right is Thelma (Shepherd) Riley, left is Frank's Sister, Betty (Shepherd) Riley - Stringer. Merton Foglesong's Service Station, The Garage on the right is operated by Merton's Son Awyard Foglesong.  Mechanic work & Oil Changes & Sells Good Year Tires, The Sterling Service Station Marrtown Road , Rt. 4 Parkersburg WV. Picture Courtesy Frank Shepherd

 

Dwight Conner, Boo Conner and Mary Schroeder Conner, 1960. Dwight O. Conner 1899-1986. his wife was Mary Schroeder Conner 1901-1995. Dwight Conner born in Hiramsburg, Noble County, Ohio. Before taking over the helm at PHS, he was the principal at Neale School in Vienna. He retired in 1959. The same year his Daughter Boo graduated. He then became Director of Testing for Wood County schools. He was also known as The Father of Gymnastics in WV high schools. After the Field House was built, PHS was the first high school in the state to have a gymnastics program with a full time coach who taught nothing else. His name was Jack Thompson and he was hired directly by Mr. Conner from the graduating class of Ohio State's gymnastic program.  Picture Courtesy Boo Conner Funk

 

Dwight Conner principal at Neale School in Vienna. Before taking over the helm at PHS he was the principal at PHS longer then any other started around 1935 retired in 1959 Picture Courtesy Boo Conner Funk

 

Early downtown Parkersburg on 5th Street the Fire department, Pumper to the left you can see the Parkersburg Mantel & Tile Company they were at 314 5th Street you can see the old City Building in the background I think this picture would be around 1910

 

The Hall Quarry Grindstone Company lock 18 Ohio 1913 Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh

 

Hall Quarry Grindstone Company lock 18 Ohio 1913 Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh

 

Hall Quarry Grindstone Company 1913 Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh

Aunt Jemima visits Parkersburg, Meet Aunt Jemima in person at the Third Street Market Oct 28 1943 Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh

 

The Point Of View Restaurant, on Blennerhassett Heights Road, overlooking the Ohio River. It was demolished a year or two ago Picture Courtesy of Cynthia Buskirk

 

The Daley Transfer & Storage Co 7th Street this Building started out as The Parkersburg Brewery. The Parkersburg Brewing. Company was incorporated under the laws of West Virginia June 24, 1889, with M. Rapp as President, C. Goetz, Vice President, and W. H. F. Kelly, Secretary. The first beer from the new brewery was delivered in August, 1890. this Picture Courtesy of Cynthia Buskirk -- there are more pictures & History of the Brewery on my website at http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com/brew.html