more old west virginia pictures - Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair

MORE OLD WEST VIRGINIA PICTURES

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 1000 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

 

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK GO TO THE LINK BELOW CLICK I LIKE

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkersburg-WV/MACKEYS-ANTIQUES-CLOCK-REPAIR/141916939168718

    

Fight poster from March 18, 1932, pitting former heavyweight champ Jack Dempsey against Billy Miles (the" Huntington Bone Crusher" ) and Jack Kearns (the "Charleston Terror") Kearns 'name was apparently misspelled on the poster. Dempsey prevailed in both fights, in what a local sports writer called" one of the most unusual nights in Huntington sports history. 

 

Prizefighter Jack Dempsey arrived in Huntington on March 17, 1932 for a pair of bouts the next day against two local challengers. Dempsey is shown here, at right, in front of the Frederick Hotel. At left is fight promoter Joe Stender. Huntington police chief Ben Robinson, mayor George D. Bradshaw, and Herald Dispatch editor Jim Clendenin are also visible, left to right, standing between Stender and Dempsey.

 

This ford tri Motor airplane flipped off the end of the runway of the Hundred Airport in the 1940's. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Youngsters exploring the wreckage discovered that the plane had wicker seats. 

 

Noble Conner sits in the "rumble seat" for his first ride in a horseless buggy, in abut 1905 olso pictured are Ernest Conner (left) and J. Harry Bowles. the Conner brothers opened and operated the first self service grocery store in Charleston, located on Bigley Avenue

 

The Civilian Conservation Corps set up this temporary tent camp to house workers at East Dailey in 1935, before permanent facilities were built near by at Camp Tygart. The CCC crews helped with the placement of field tiles, water, and sewer lines, aloNG with planting and other work.

 

Inside the U. S. Naval Ordnance Plant machine shop, Plant in South Charleston the largest machine shop in the world during the early 1940's

 

A crowd gathers on August 30, 1920, as Secretary of the Navy Josephus Daniels inspects the Ordnance Plant in South Charleston on the third anniversary of the ground breaking. The plant was completed in 1919.

 

At age 16, Bill Dysard went to work for the West Virginia Department of Highways and stayed with them for the next 49 years. This picture was taken on Droop Mountain, Pocahontas County, in 1929. Bill is standing between the truck and the steam shovel.

 

Union Mission Bus Loaded with kids Going to Church Early 1930s

 

The West Virginia Brewing Company was one of several local beverage concerns that relied on the Central City Bung Company for their bung needs. This 1912 photograph shows beer barrels being transported in a then modern electric truck. In later years, the brewing company became known as the Fesenmeier Brewery.

 

West Virginia Brewing Company employees, 1896.

 

Heiner's Bakery wagon in about 1910. Pictured here are founder Charles W.  Heiner and son Earl W. Heiner. This was the company's first bread wagon. The bakery still operates at the northwest corner of 14 th Street West and Adams Avenue.

 

Vehicle and trailer near state Capital in Charleston 1933. Judge J. F. Rutherford was President of Watchtower Society (Jehovah's Witnesses ) from 1916 to 1942

 

Jimmy Henderson driving a team of mules out of Putney No. 1 mine in the early 1900's.

 

Forge at Kelly Axe plant in Charleston 

 

1930's view of Kelly Axe facility along the Great Kanawha River in North Charleston. Patrick Street is visible at left, and Blaine Island at the top of this photograph. The plant was razed in 1982. The site currently houses a Kmart store and several automotive businesses.

 

Greenbank Consolidated School. Loading up the buses for a six mile haul.

 

 

 

COPYRIGHT 1997-2013 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR