pictures old schools parkersburg & wood county wv - Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair

    OLD PARKERSBURG & WOOD COUNTY WV SCHOOLS

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 900 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

 

Dedicated in April, of 1867 this View Seldom Seen of Parkersburg High School 7th Street 1909

 

 

1954 Franklin Junior High School opened in 1952 was converted to Parkersburg South High School with first Graduating class in 1968

 

Marrtown School

 

Tygart School

 

 

Fairview School 1914 would later be named Tavennerville School Teacher Pauline Black, Lucy Camp, & Mrs. Carrie McPherson Picture Courtesy Dave Morehead

 

No photographs remain of the first Parkersburg High School. The second Parkersburg High School, located at the corner of Seventh and Green Streets, was dedicated in 1867 and cost $55,000 to build. Teachers received from $30 to $125 a month. Among the courses offered were Latin, German, physics, chemistry, algebra, English composition, and United States history.

 

Parkersburg's growing population necessitated building a larger high school. in 1916 the board of education purchased 27 acres on Dudley avenue to build a new school that would accommodate 1,200 students. the building pictured in the architect's drawing cost nearly $500,000 including the grounds, building, and equipment. the first classes attended Parkersburg high school in the fall of 1917

 

McKinley Elementary School

 

Pettyville Elementary School

 

Marrtown School 1915-1916 Teacher Shown is William Swain Wigal

 

 

Marrtown School 1914-1915 Teacher Shown is William Swain Wigal

 

EARLY PICTURE SOUTH SIDE SCHOOL - SWAIN WIGAL: TEACHER NOT SURE OF THE YEAR BUT AROUND 1912

 

Stillwell School 1928  Photo Courtesy Don & Nancy Vaughn

 

Upper Stillwell School Mary Vaughn Front Row 1931 Photo Courtesy Don & Nancy Vaughn

 

walker School 1932 Photo Courtesy Don & Nancy Vaughn

 

DeSALES HEIGHTS ACADEMY

 

EDISON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL 1977

 

WASHINGTON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL 1978

 

RAYON GRADE SCHOOL 1957

 

old Nicelyville school a group of 6th and 8th grade students at the old Nicelyville School, that stood at the corner of what is now Camden and Eighth Avenues Parkersburg.  Glenna Barrett McAtee, who contributed the picture, is seeking additional information on the  "school its history and when it was torn down. students, from left, first row: Robert Grogan, Harry Dorie, Leona Campbell, Glenna Barrett, Hazel Schneider, Anna Cunningham, Agnes Weiser, and Celia Davis. second row: Dorothy Nicely, Richard Knox, John Snyder, Jim Snyder, Fred Singledecker, Bob Weiser, Chessie Quick. third row: Earl Knox, George Cunningham, Fred Ramsey and the teacher.

 

St. Xavier School--In 1923 St. Xavier parish purchased the Hersch mansion at the corner of 9th and Juliana Sts. for $29,000 and outfitted it to serve as a parish school for grades 1-8. In 1931 Grade 9 was added. The building stood until 1949. Notice the peculiar street light (fire horn??) in the center of the picture.

 

old Fairplains School which stood on Broadway Avenue. It was torn down in 1948 and a school built on the same site.

 

River Hill School Blennerhassett Heights, Wood County, 1916-17, Margaret Haines, teacher.

 

Garfield school

 

 

Garfield School 1915 Picture Photo Courtesy Nola Wilson

 

Harmony Grove School which stood near South Fork of Lee Creek above the site of the Piggott Covered Bridge. the building was constructed in 1860s and stood till 1950

 

The New Era School was located on Missouri Run Road close to Pettyville. It opened in 1884 and closed in 1956. For several years it was used for community meetings. In 1991 a group of volunteers moved the school to the campus of Mineral Wells Elementary to use as a living heritage museum. Every year fourth-grade classes spend a half-day in the school learning what it was like to go to a one-room school. Also, the New Era school is a repository for Wood County School history.

 

Emerson School - built in 1880, enlarged in 1909, located at the corner of 32nd and Emerson Avenue. It was a two story brick building, ordinary wood floors, wood roof slate covered, with a portion covered with composition. The hallway on the first floor was of brick arch construction, wood surface. Wood lath and plaster finish; steam heat with direct radiation. It was a grade school with classroom

 

Centennial School, Wood County, 1943. It was a one room school and this was the entire student body.

 

Park School, at the corner of 7th St. and Park Ave. Wendy's and CVS are on that corner now

 

Sumner School in 1955, shortly after closing down in late 1954 and being converted to the Sunshine School

 

One-room Boreman School that was on Old St. Mary's Pike at the site of the current Nulter home. It replaced the old Zoar School that was on the hillside above it. This photo may be from the 1940's. The old bell is currently in the tower of the Narrow Gate Baptist Church down the road.

 

Walker public school

 

Walker School 1924 - Walker WV

 

Old Walker School before they built the new one

 

 

Public School Walker WV

 

OLD SOUTH SIDE SCHOOL IN 1913-14 LATER WAS RE-NAMED TYGART SCHOOL

 

OLD MARRTOWN SCHOOL AT THE TOP OF MARRTOWN HILL. UNKNOWN WHEN BUILT. KNOW IT WAS THERE IN THE 1920S. THERE WAS NO RUNNING WATER. SOURCE OF WATER WAS HAND OPERATED PUMP AT NORTH END OF BUILDING. REST ROOM SET OVER TOP OF SEPTIC TANK INSIDE

 

Washington school along route 892 was built in 1888 and used for many years

 

 

Teacher George Washington Smith, left, children and parents at Harmony Grove School , north of Belleville , circa 1890s.

 

Teachers at Shady Hill School , at the foot of Mineral Wells hill, 1945-46.Front row: Otis Brown, Gertrude Dye and Carl Miller. Back row: Tom Forshey, Julie Michels and Clarice Roberts. The "new" Shady Hill School was open from 1932-1955.

 

COPYRIGHT 1997-2014 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR

home_page.gif (1111 bytes)