old movie theaters parkersburg wv - Mackeys Antiques & Clock Repair

OLD PARKERSBURG WV MOVIE THEATERS

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.net

Web Site http://www.mackeysclockrepair.org

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/  

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 2500 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

Law Enforcement & Veterans Pictures

PARKERSBURG AREA LAW ENFORCEMENT & VETERANS

 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkersburg-WV/MACKEYS-ANTIQUES-CLOCK-REPAIR/141916939168718

HISTORY OF THE OLD MOVIE THEATER'S IN PARKERSBURG WV

THEATERS  ALL OF THE BELOW THEATERS BUT THE SMOOT HAVE CLOSED, PICTURES BELOW THE LIST

The Wonderland --The Academy of Music  -- The Auditorium -- The Lyric -- The Camden Theater -- The Air dome later renamed The Hippodrome Theater-- later renamed the Hipp Garden -- The Star Theater -- The Bijou Theater, -- The Strand Theater -- The Broadway Theater -- The Burwell Theater -- The Hiehle Theater -- The Lincoln Theater --The Palace Theater -- The Parker Theater -- The Smoot Theater -- The Virginia Theater    

 


DRIVE-IN THEATERS

BELPRE OPEN AIR -  BELPRE

Closed down in the mid to late 1970s and Demolished to Make Room for other Business  


MUR DRIVE IN - MURDOCH AVENUE

Closed down in the late 1960s and Demolished to Make Room Shopping Center now Home Depot

RIVERSIDE DRIVE IN - RT. 7  UP FROM BELPRE OH

closed  

STARLIGHT AUTO DRIVE IN - CORNER PIKE ST. & GIHON ROAD

Closed down in the late 1960s and Demolished to Make Room Shopping Center

SUNDOWNER - GIHON ROAD

closed down and a flea market later burnt down

JUNGLE DRIVE IN - RT. 2 NORTH, & 31

was still Opened till mid 2012 but Closed not sure if it will reopen
 

 
 

This picture was taken in 1903 Parkersburg's first Theater Wonderland. it was on 224  market street. were later the Star and Bijou Theater's was there then later the old Strand Theater was there. left to right is Charles Summerville, Manager - Esterella Healey, Pianist - Mary Healey, Pianist - the Projectionist who is Unidentified - Julius Cahen the owner and another Unidentified Man

the Wonderland was Parkersburg's First Theater in late 1880s in the 400 block of Market Street. closed down in the early 1900s and two theaters constructed at 424-426 Market street on the East Corner of Fifth and Market, was the star and Bijou, two relatively unsuccessful theaters were located side-by-side. in 1917 the Bijou with new owners was re-named the Strand in the 1920s,the two theaters the Star & the Strand were merged and the strand Theater was constructed. History of    THE HISTORY OF WONDERLAND PARKERSBURG'S FIRST THEATER 

 

History of the The ACADEMY OF MUSIC which opened Sept. 4 1883 with Haverly's Minstrels, also was reached by climbing a stairway from street level in the building occupied by the Steak House at 503. Juliana St. A surviving program dated Sept. 1 1886, shows this theater was managed by M. C. VanWinkle' who was offering Dick Gorman's Dramatic Company in the "new sensational comedy drama,  "Conrad." This Theater burned in 1896, but it was rebuilt and continued awhile longer About 30 years later Charles B. Hall opened a small movie theater, the Virginia, in the same Building, so successfully that the 'following year, 1928, he built a new theater of the same name on Juliana Street opposite the Post Office, on land part of the Commercial Bank parking lot. now WesBanco

 

The Auditorium, 5th and Avery, was built in 1896 as a Stage and Vaudeville house. this is the Building that Parkersburg Office Supply was. the Smoot's purchased the Auditorium in 1919 and closed it so that all traveling shows would play the Camden.

The History of the Auditorium     OLD PARKERSBURG AUDITORIUM

 

This is a 1910 Ad, this show was Located where united national Bank is now on Market Street

 

The Airdome Theater around 1910 later renamed The Hippodrome Theater later renamed the Hipp Garden

 

1910 AD For The Airdome later renamed The Hippodrome Theater later renamed the Hipp Garden

 

THIS PICTURE OF THE CAMDEN THEATER 1921

The Camden Theater located on the west side of the 700 block of Market Street near Eighth Street Opening October 12, 1902 with Marble Floored Lobby led from Market Street to the 1400 Seat Three Tiered Auditorium.  " Burned down in 1929 "

SEE FULL STORY    CAMDEN THEATRE 1929

with Marble floored Lobby led from Market Street to the 1400 seat three tiered Auditorium. the Camden Presented Touring Stage Production and Major Films

The Camden Theater Three Tiered Auditorium.

The Camden Theater Three Tiered Auditorium.

 

The day After The Camden Theater Fire December 1 1929

 

Hippodrome Theater, renamed the Hipp Garden - 211 Fifth Street. was on the Site of the Present Smoot Theater. the Hippodrome Replaced the Open Air Theater on the Corner of 5th and Juliana where Dudley florist shop was later constructed. the Smoot was constructed and Opened in the 1926. this Photo Shows a 1913 after Theater Crowd.

 

 

The Citizen's Band, Parkersburg, W. V. - 1916 Performed in front of the Star and Bijou Theater. the Bijou Theater and Star Theater later combined to form Strand Theater.

 

Bijou Theater Next Week Prices: Mat 25c; Children admitted to balcony for 10c Night. 25c, 50C June 21 1913

 

Strand Theater 1946 - The Bijou Theater and Star Theater later combined to form Strand Theater

The Strand Theater on Market Street was once one of a number of places in Parkersburg offering motion picture entertainment. "We offer first run pictures and the best in service amidst pleasing comfortable surroundings." That was the promise on the marquee back in the summer of 1939.

 

The Lobby of the Strand Theater 422 Market Street. Shortly after Opening Circa 1916 John William Drake gets a Ticket from the Strand's Owner Percy W. Barrett 

 

 

The Strand Theater, located at 424-426 Market Street on the East Corner of Fifth and Market, as it was on August. 29 1939. two Relatively Unsuccessful Theaters were the Star and Bijou, which were located side-by-side. in the 1918, the two theaters were Merged and the Strand was constructed. it remained open until the mid-1950s.

  

For years the favorite of youngsters who enjoyed western movies, the Virginia Theater was built in 1928 by Charles B Hall. It was located on Juliana Street opposite the Parkersburg Post Office, on land now a part of the Commercial Bank parking lot. The "Virginia Theatre" which was located on Juliana Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets. The theatre was opened in 1927 and closed in 1957. This picture was taken in 1938 and shows a typical sample of the "Virginia's" movies.

 

                                THE VIRGINIA THEATER LATE 1950s

Removal of 3 Buildings - Joe Park Insurance, Maxwell Radio and the Virginia Theater Allowed Commercial Bank to Install a drive in and parking lot on Juliana street back in the 1960s

 

Market Street in the Mid 1920s the Camden Theater & Lincoln Theater, the Camden Theater burnt down in 1929.   on the corner of 8th & Market Street, was the Lincoln Theater across the street from Camden Theaters. The Lincoln was Closed in the mid 1930s and was converted into a Department Store J. C. Penny's occupied the Building from 1936 to 1972 the Building is now the Actors Guild

 See Full Story     CAMDEN THEATRE 1929

The Smoot Theater This picture 1948

The Smoot Theater was built and Opened in 1926 in the Same Location were the Hippodrome Theater, was on 211 Fifth Street built at a cost of $200,000 by the Smoot Amusement Company opened on October 18, 1926 at its present location on Fifth Street. The theater featured vaudeville and photo plays, seated 1,100 persons, and used the latest equipment. For years the Smoot was the place to go on a Saturday night, but competition from television led to its closing in 1974. Plans were made to demolish the theater in 1989, after it sat vacant for many years. However, three weeks before the scheduled demolition, a group of volunteers launched an effort to save the theater. They formed the Smoot Theatre Cooperation and raised funds from state and private sources to restore the Smoot to its former glory. Today thanks to the dedicated volunteers and the skilled leadership of artistic director Felice Jorgenson the Smoot features first rate performances by touring Broadway productions and such artists as Wynton Marsalis, Vince Gill, and Shirley Jones.

 

Riney Hiehle built a Theater at 703 Market St. Later was The Radio Station WADC, calling it by the family name. opened in December, 1930, and thereafter for many years presented many of the popular Frank Capra productions from Columbia.

 for History of    The Hiehle Theater & The Hiehle Brother 

 

Members of the Kiddie Clubs eat Imperial Ice Cream after a Matinee at the Smoot Theater April 11th 1931

 

 

 

 

 

on the corner of 8th & Market Street, was the Lincoln Theater across the street from Camden Theaters. The Lincoln was Closed in the mid 1930s and was converted into a Department Store J. C. Penny's occupied the Building from 1936 to 1972 the Building is now the Actors Guild

 

The Hiehle Theater - Market Street Riney Hiehle built a theater at 703 Market St. calling it by the family name. opened in December, 1930, and thereafter for many years presented many of the popular Frank Capra productions from Columbia. Later was Radio Station WADC,

 

                        

The Parker Theater 716 Market Street billed itself as the place "Where Better Pictures Play." Mrs. Rose Thomas operated this theater for 22 years, 1939 to 1961

 

 

Burwell Theater Picture Courtesy John Dana

 

  

Nelson Burwell built The Burwell Theatre Ground was broken for the theater at 1908 St. Marys Ave. in the spring of 1938. The Burwell first opened its doors at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 14, 1938. The show featured at the grand opening was "Holiday," a first run film from Columbia Pictures starring Kathryn Hepburn and Cary Grant. It began running at 7 P.M. When it opened, the Burwell Theatre had a daily matinee and evening show. At that time, the cost of its matinee show, which started at 1 p.m., was 10 cents for children and 15 cents for adults. Admission for the regular 7 p.m. show was 15 cents and 25 cents. closed it Doors for the last time on February 29 1990

 

The History of the Burwell THE BURWELL THEATER & HISTORY

 

 

 The Palace Theater which functioned on East Seventh Street on the occasion of the photo, was presenting "Trail of the Lonesome Pine" starring Sylvia Sidney and Fred MacMurray.

 

The Old Broadway Theater, on the Corner of 10th Ave. and Broadway Ave. i have never talked to anyone that remembers it being opened. but it was Broadway Theater. later in the 1950s Rev. Clair Ruble had the Hour of Faith Tabernacle Church There. the Building was Demolished several years a go.

 

  Belpre Drive-In  1949

 

  The Mur Drive In Murdoch Avenue 1950s

 

               Jungle Drive In

 

 

The Concession stand and Projection Room at the Jungle Drive-Inn

 

 

OLD THEATER ADS

 

a Early Advertisement for a show at the Auditorium Theater Parkersburg it was were Parkersburg Office Supply is now 5th & Avery Street " Better to Smoke Now Then Hereafter " The Year Was 1900

 

This Ad  in the Newspaper The Social Rebel Parkersburg August 18 1906 for Wonderland Theater 424 Market Street Parkersburg  Parkersburg's First Theater in late 1880s at 424 block of Market Street. closed down in the early 1900s and two theaters constructed at 424-426 Market street on the East Corner of Fifth and Market, was the star and Bijou, two relatively unsuccessful theaters were located side-by-side. in 1917 the Bijou with new owners was re-named the Strand in the 1920s,the two theaters the Star & the Strand were merged and the strand Theater was constructed. 

 

1928 ad Lincoln Theater

 

1928 ad Smoot Theater

 

1928 Palace Theater Ad

 

1928 Strand Theater Ad

 

The Auditorium, 5th and Avery, 1900

The History of the Auditorium   OLD PARKERSBURG AUDITORIUM

 

OLD 1909 AD FOR THE CAMDEN THEATER

 the Camden Theater burnt down in 1929 see full story  CAMDEN THEATRE 1929

 

the Bijou Theater Ad 1909

Two relatively unsuccessful theaters were the Star and Bijou, which were located side-by-side on at 424-426 Market Street on the east corner of Fifth and Market. In the 1920s,the two theaters were merged and the Strand theater was constructed. the Strand remained open until the mid-1950s.

 

1915 AD

 

 1916 AD

 

1918 AD

 

1915 AD

 

1915 AD

 

  old 1924 Lincoln Theater Ad

 

1916 AD

 

1918 AD

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

VIRGINIA THEATER - 1952

 

SMOOT THEATER - 1952

 

STRAND THEATER - 1952

 

STRAND THEATER - 1952

 

PARKER THEATER - 1952

 

MUR DRIVE IN - 1952

 

STARLIGHT DRIVE IN - 1952

 

BELPRE OPEN AIR DRIVE IN - 1952

 

PALACE THEATER - 1952

 

BURWELL THEATER - 1952

 

HIEHLE THEATER - 1952

 

      1952

  The collection of all content on this website is the property of Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair and is protected by U.S. and International copyright laws copyright 1997-2017 All Rights Reserved