White City Parkersburg WV
Mackey's Antiques & Clock
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com
Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/
Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/
Wood County History Photography & Scenery http://www.wchps.net
For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures
White City Baseball club
White City Baseball club East End Parkersburg 1903 it was called White City because all the Houses were painted White, in this picture is Moss Taylor, John Robinson, Chester Enoch, Charles Phillips, Carl Boggs, George Hamilton, Harry Welch, Dick Hoblitzell, Tom Tucker, Dick Hoblitzell would go on and play Major League Baseball, White City, then a new residential area which lay between Latrobe Street and Laird Avenue north of 7th Street and stretched from Virginia Avenue on tae south to George Street on the north. According to one explanation, White City was so dubbed because all of the houses in the development were painted white. Another legend has it, though, that the area was named for the famous "White City" of the Columbian Exposition at Chicago in 1893. -- Picture Courtesy Gary Traugh
White City, Sand Plains, Elberon, Polecat Hill. You may be living in one of theses places and not know it. At the turn of the century, Parkersburg was a city of many faces and many names. Though the residents for whom these neighborhood nicknames rekindle a certain fondness and pride are few today, informal tags given to many of the city's districts reflect its personality during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
It was a lusty Parkersburg, swelling with growing pains, when some of the outlying districts not far from the downtown district were still in virgin timberland," reads a Sentinel article of Dec. 14, 1950. one of those suburbs was White City, then a new residential area which lay between Latrobe Street and Laird Avenue north of 7th Street and stretched from Virginia Avenue on tae south to George Street on the north.
According to one explanation, White City was so dubbed because all of the houses in the development were painted white. Another legend has it, though, that the area was named for the famous "White City" of the Columbian Exposition at Chicago in 1893. Whatever the origin of its name, White City was one of the more "refined" districts, said Bud Lilly of
1723 Spring St., who owns one of the largest collections of photographs and postcards of the city during that era.
ANOTHER AREA was Swamp Poodle, which loosely covered one or two blocks north and south of East 12th Street. LUly said he remembers that name being used into the 1920s and 1930s. He figures the designation came from the fact that all of the roads there were unpaved then and the ground was swampy. Ray Swick, historian for the Blennernassett
Historical Park Commission, believes the name is probably derived from what originally may have been "Swamp Puddle."
OTHER PARKERSBURG districts
were Cornstalk Hill, which was a ascending offshoot of Swamp Poodle, north of 13th Street and east of Stephenson Avenue. Sand Plains, a section in what is now the North End, extending from 31st Street north to the present city
limits beyond 41st Street. According to the Sentinel article, the sandy terrain gave the area its name. At the start of this century this section was the location of a Sand Plains School and a Sand Plains Hall. Elberon, a stretch of St. Marys
Avenue from 14th to 19th streets or slightly beyond. Among its former identifying landmarks were the old Elberon Bakery on St. Marys near: 16th and the former Elberon Methodist Church at Dudley Avenue and 19th. This church is now St. Andrew's Methodist.
POLECAT HILL, also Prospect Hill or what we know today as Quincy Hill This name came as a result of "the alleged presence of the scented creatures. " Bradley's Glory, a cluster of houses off Marrtown Road in South Parkersburg. The name Bradley is still predominant in this small section overlooking the Ohio River, but the area's former nickname is almost forgotten today, states the newspaper account.
- SNAKEVlLLE ROAD, a winding road that connected the far eastern end of the city with the North End. Although its name had been changed to Fairview Avenue by 1905, most residents referred to it by its old name for many years after.
- Pottery Junction, a section covering the immediate vicinity of Murdoch Avenue and 25th Street. This was not only a one-time street car junction, but also the location of the old Donaghbo Pottery Co. at 2508 Murdoch.
Newport, a small section: in South Parkersburg at the south end of the Juliana Street bridge over the Little Kanawha River, where a Newport School once stood. BARNES BECKWITH, the former "Mayor" of Swamp Poodle, who recently moved to southern California, recalled that Parkersburg during the early years of this century "was the toughest town on the Ohio." Lilly's wife, the former Helen Nolan, remembers her father telling her about the neighborhood gangs that were, common in his youth. "People were rather rough and tough then," she said. her Father lived in Irish Town, one or the ethnic sections inhabited by Irish railroad workers and their families in the area of 1st and 2nd streets. He was a member of his neighborhood gang, who would later speak of how the Irish Town boys battled their main rival, the Belpre gang. .
Neighborhood rivalries took a different form when men donned baseball uniforms. Many districts White City, Lauckport, Polecat Hill, South Side, East End, Nicollette, Davisville and Kanawha Station among them had their own teams.
A hilltop in back of presently developed 15th Street served as the baseball field for many sandlot games. several Names are still in use. These include Marrtown, Tavennerville and Nicelyvllle in South Parkersburg. Others like Beechwood and Maplewood, which were street car stops on the Urban Line, are also recognizable today. Do all of these different Different names mean that Parkersburg was a Incorporated assortment of many small towns at the turn of the
COPYRIGHT 1997-2015 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR